Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Pog's sterling....

Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post
    Ok, well who wants to buy a Sterling?

This weekend went from "time to actually have the first test drive" on Saturday morning to a car with 0 interior, brakes all torn apart and another blown hydraulic line and soaked interior after 10 hrs of working on it on Sunday. What a rough day.
    Sorry to hear about the latest mishap. I think its fair to say its time to change those hydraulic lines you are using, I know there was discussion on them earlier in the thread. Need to go for some proper hydraulic hoses with machine clamped fittings

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Sorry to hear about the latest mishap. I think its fair to say its time to change those hydraulic lines you are using, I know there was discussion on them earlier in the thread. Need to go for some proper hydraulic hoses with machine clamped fittings
    Yup! pulling them out today and getting new ones made. It was just one thing after another yesterday and it's just a good thing there are no cliffs near by otherwise it may have ended up at the bottom.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Yup! pulling them out today and getting new ones made. It was just one thing after another yesterday and it's just a good thing there are no cliffs near by otherwise it may have ended up at the bottom.
    Sorry to hear man; There is a small lake a few miles down the road from me that is reputed to have several cars submerged at the bottom of it, apparently one drills a 12mm hole in the roof before rolling it down the slope into the drink.

Not that I have ever considered doing that to my beloved Nova. Obviously.

I think we have all had those days and thoughts at some point in the journey of kit car building. Deep breath and carry on it will be worth it in the end.

Dirk

So upon stepping back I realized one of the front calipers leaks a bit and doesn't full release when the pedal is released. So both sides are going to be rebuilt or replaced. I thought these were super beetle calipers but I can't find anything with the same brake pad PIN set up - any thoughts?

IMG_20210714_185957.jpg IMG_20210714_190003.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

pretty sure I bought these https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/...with-pads.html
    (not at home to check what was ordered)
    I had a similar issue and after taking apart the originals to refurb, decided that for safety it was better to replace them `¬)
    I think I also tried to find the same pin fixing / plate you have, but decided that as the linked included the pads and everything it wasn't worth messing about...

I had the same from Retrodubs, mine used to drag and bind - it worked out cheaper to replace the calipers than get new seals and pistons - when I got them off and looked looked the bores were nasty anyway....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Girling units, not my favourites, blow the budget and get a pair of Wilwoods.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I think I'm going to heed everybody's advice and just replace it all. Bearings are now 12 yrs old with 1 mile - might as well do those and the discs and not worry.

The good: After 13 yrs I got to drive it!
    https://youtu.be/HWi5EBDML9g

The bad:
    Needs a sterring box, new tires and an alignment (BADLY!). The front tires rub at full lock but it should be ok.
    The new calipers leak at the bleeder valve threads on 3 of the 4 which is frustrating. May send them back if I can't flush out the issue.
    Last edited by vpogv; 26-07-2021 at 12:24 AM.