Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Pog's sterling....

Re: Pog's sterling....

Not that it needs to be said, but make sure you build some sort of squaring jig to insure that everything is water level...

A friend of mine just had to cut the front end of his project off and reweld it on cause of a .50% twist from metal warping due to heat and poor welding... Take the time to do that part right.
    jmd
    CCC | Sterling #00551
    Owner Since - well, a long time.

- the time has come to re-design / build her -
    - I can do this sort of stuff... http://www.exoticcustomchoppers.com now, so I have faith -

The pans and frame head will be done by a professional, I will trust myself with welding an exhaust or something smaller, but I'll leave it to somebody who knows what they are doing with the frame. Definitely appreciate the heads up though.

I know everybody loves pictures so here is the new rust:

We will see what it looks like when it's all cleaned up but I can probably just get away with cutting the cancer spots out and just patching it rather than completely redoing that entire framehead/hat.

yuck.
    thats sucks.

best of luck in repairing that, be sure you keep photos of the process.
    jmd
    CCC | Sterling #00551
    Owner Since - well, a long time.

- the time has come to re-design / build her -
    - I can do this sort of stuff... http://www.exoticcustomchoppers.com now, so I have faith -

Looks very familiar

We replaced the whole framehead, napoleon's hat and lower panel with a complete framehead from VW heritage.

Lots of measuring and aligning before tack welds and re-measuring, but made it easier in the end.

Photos here:

http://jimsvwnovarestoration.blogspo...kes-shape.html

Thanks for the pictures of naked Nena Jim. I am hoping I end up not having to replace that much, but does show me that I don't have a completely lost cause for a frame.

I had to use the ends of the hat to repair mine as the body was on, that's a lot more rust than I had as i only did the bottom of the frame head plate.
    Make sure you cut out as much as you can so you can weld on good metal
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Will do. I feel the picture of the bottom is a bit deceiving because I didn't clean it up at all, but does need work. The last bit of the metal will be in Monday, I am getting it blasted tomorrow then drop the pans, frame head bits, and frame off at the uncle-in-law's for the welding and fabbing of the pan drops.

I want to have the frame repaired and coated, brake lines in, new cables, pedal assembly and set the body back on by the end of September - we will see how it goes.

Well a small update for tonight. The frame was blasted on Saturday, didn't get it picked up until today but man it looks good. No surprises with it and I dropped it off along with all of the metal tonight to the uncle-in-law's place. Hopefully we will get a day here in the next week or two and get the new framehead bits put in and the pans.

I do have a question as to the best way to put in new pans - but not to clutter up this thread I started one in the appropriate spot. - Click Me.

Not too much of an update but an update none-the-less. Unfortunately the metal work is taking more time than I wanted, but what can one do. Chiseled all of the spot welds off of the old pans, and they are ready to be cleaned up next time as well as the frame head cut up and ready for welding. Hopefully 2-3 weeks or so and I'll be set - biggest set back is trying to get days we are both free to work on things.

I took advantage of a few days off and cleaned up the transmission - here you can see the before and after:

Spent 2 hours in the junk yard on Friday picking out the necessary reflectors and defroster vent. I know i'm getting ahead of myself but wanted to get things before I forgot.

Today I started tearing apart the 2 front beams I have:

Each have good and bad parts, which brings me to a question. The front beam has adjusters welded in and in general better shape, but all 4 grease nipples were removed and have been for some time. I fear this would lead to rusty leaf springs. The rear beam in the picture has no adjusters, older, etc. Am I correct in fearing the rusty leaf springs?