Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Pog's sterling....

Re: Pog's sterling....

Thanks Rick. I'm in no extreme rush, but I have the money so always better to spend it before the wife sees it.

To update - I should be picking the car up on Monday. Making the drive down in the morning and if everything checks out I will be hauling it up that afternoon. Then the real work begins.

Sweet dude! Lots of pictures are of course expected.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Pictures might wait until after the pink is gone.

good call....
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

I have bought a number of vehicles (cars, trucks and bikes) throughout the years and each one always has those handful of problematic areas that you want to make sure you check. Perhaps one model is known for bad tie-rods or rust in a particular area. Is there anything specific to look at when I go checkout/hopefully buy the Sterling? Here is a list I can think of -

All glass undamaged.
    Rust on the floor pans - in and around the foot wells inside.
    Canopy hinges and struts/lifts/actuators.
    All electrical components available (car is not wired, but I will make sure lights, housings, gauges, switches, etc. are there).
    General condition of the body panels (cracks, chips, holes, etc.)
    Suspension (basic things).
    Tire condition.

Anything else big to check?

Does this mean I can take the ad off the site now ? Good deal, pog. I think it'll turn out for the best. As we've discussed in other emails, most of the suspect problems are pretty elementary. I don't think the floorpan was dropped on this car, so even if there was rust, you'd be replacing those anyway. The only real major issues with VW pans are the framehead/backbone joint. If the framehead is very rusty, to the point where there are large obvious flakes falling off, then you'll need to replace the "napoleons hat" section and possibly the front beam. That requires removal of the body and good welding skills. Frequently if the chassis is to that point, it's easier to find another one in better shape. I've only seen that on cars that have been sitting in fields for decades, so I don't think there will be an issue here. Other than that, just look for obvious frame damage - front and rear wheels should be parallel to each other: site down both sides of the car and compare where the wheels sit. If it's obviously "off" more on one side than the other, then the frame is tweaked and your SOL. New chassis, please... Again, from the photos all looks good, so get that thing home and get the wife to help you work on it

R

I will be sure to take a flashlight and look at those 2 areas the best I can. The rear I would imagine is fairly visible through the wheel wells or from the rear valence, since it is off. Front I might do more feeling and poking than actual visual assurance. Dropped pans is one of those "next winter project" things. I want to get it running and enjoy it instead of have it be a sitter for years and not enjoy it. So if they are kinda solid then I am happy with that for now.

Like you said Rick, I am not too worried, the seller seems to be very straight forward on all they know and if I do remember it wasn't always a Kentucky car, pretty sure it spent most of it's life in California, so fingers crossed there. Thanks for the info.

As far as taking it down, rest assured as soon as I get home there will be a post whether it's mine or something bigger was found.

Quote Originally Posted by vpogv
    I want to get it running and enjoy it instead of have it be a sitter for years and not enjoy it
    Just make sure to do it "right" and don't cut corners just to get it on the road fast and dirty. We have an image to uphold, you know!

1975 Sterling
    215 ci Buick V8
    Sterling in Garage! Back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by nbb350
    Just make sure to do it "right" and don't cut corners just to get it on the road fast and dirty. We have an image to uphold, you know!

No worries, I know when I can fudge and not, electrical is not one of those areas I will cut corners. My point is though I am not going to do everything first then drive, I will be doing it all in stages (at least that is the plan) so I can enjoy the car as I go.

It looks like I will be making the trek on Tuesday. Went and grabbed the trailer tonight and managed to back it into the driveway in only 15 tries.