Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Pog's sterling....

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Very nice! I'm a big fan of PWM as you know, but I think multiple circuits is the way to go, following current production car practice. I took a slightly different tack and designed a PWM controller with a 1A current sink and tried to run all my LEDs off of it. It works, but I did have to sacrifice some of the features (such as dimming indicator tell-tales) because of the single PWM.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Very nice! I'm a big fan of PWM as you know, but I think multiple circuits is the way to go, following current production car practice. I took a slightly different tack and designed a PWM controller with a 1A current sink and tried to run all my LEDs off of it. It works, but I did have to sacrifice some of the features (such as dimming indicator tell-tales) because of the single PWM.
    Fortunately these are 1.5A max which gives me enough to do one per corner and still come in at only .8 or so amps max through each. Rather be safe than redoing it.

Does anybody have the wiring diagram for the SW gauges? Specifically the tachometer, Fuel and Oil?

Can anybody shed light on to how accurate this wiring "diagram" is? These are the standard Sterling SW gauges. Thanks!

Last edited by vpogv; 24-09-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Hmm, that's a tricky one. You don't want to get the wires the wrong way round, as the signal from the points (although effectively a +12V pulse train) will have some nasty spikes on it due to the back emf from the coil. These transients can reach 300V!

Is the triangular symbol next to the suspected coil connection really there, or is it my eyes playing tricks on me?

If you are still not sure which one is which, have a go at opening the unit up (shouldn't be too hard on a 1970s tacho) and take some pictures of the circuit board. You/we should be able to work it out from there. It would also be interesting to see what technology is used - my 1978 Vauxhall (GM) Magnum tacho used an IC, but my equivalent vintage Alfasud tacho used a pair of transistors.

Lauren

Is the triangular symbol next to the suspected coil connection really there, or is it my eyes playing tricks on me?
    That is a symbol of some sort there. The ignition arrow is pointed to what looks like an "IGN" and the ground to a "GND" which is why my guesses were as they are. I thought for sure this was a simple one to figure out.

Ah, I see - so the "N" is the last part of "IGN" hiding under the label. "GND" is equally self-explanatory, so the triangular symbol is the "points" connection???

Ah, I see - so the "N" is the last part of "IGN" hiding under the label. "GND" is equally self-explanatory, so the triangular symbol is the "points" connection???
    That's my best guess. I emailed SW and waiting on their reply.

Decided to start getting wiring done for the dash section as it was taking up space in the garage and hindering the wife's car from parking inside. First was to finish up the warning and indicator lights. I printed up a back that could hold the LEDs nicely. It's not pretty but it works.

I ended up using some heat shrink and silicone to organize the wires and add support to the seemingly fragile ribbon wire.

Got the gauges wired up and wires organized into a nice 12pin molex that my dad had laying around. The only issue is that the smaller 2 gauges aren't getting a good ground for the gauge lights. The gauge itself works when tested so I know it's getting ground just not to the light.

The last bit was done to add dash lighting to light up the "hvac" controls. I will grab better pictures of how the LEDs are done but with some help of another 3d printed piece to control the light around the fan control it turned out well. Cleaned up the wiring and added a junk yard connector for simplicity.

All wiring was secured initially with some hot glue and then revisited with silicone. I may go back with a 2 part epoxy to adhere the printed pieces. As I don't want to pull things apart after a year or so when the glue decides to let go.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I like your display, looks very smart! How durable are the printed parts - what is the material?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    I like your display, looks very smart! How durable are the printed parts - what is the material?
    It's PLA which isn't ideal as they do have a tendency to warp at hot temperatures. The indicators were done with a high infill and with the cap I am not to worried about them warping. The PWM boxes I mounted in the engine compartment may be problematic but I'll just keep an eye on it. If I can get my hands on a printer that can do ABS I will just reprint.