Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heating/heater/hell!!

Re: Heating/heater/hell!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut
    That's the bottom line Ant - if you are using your Nova as a fun car for dry sunny days, do you need a heater at all?
    For the days, no. But when it cools off on those nice clear nights and gets a bit cool is when I will want it.

i have the same problem,
    i have no heating at all, you would thought there would be an electric heating system that actualy worked well, i thought the westfield used an electric system, cant remember if it had to be a water system tho.
    is there any regulation in the uk as to screen demisting etc?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

These ceramic (electric) heaters are popular with builders as it complies with SVA regulations for a windscreen demister. I don't think the 7evens have any intention of using them - they are usually hard cases who drive around with the top down, rain or shine! Or snow, hail etc.

You could probably measure the heat output of a good VW heat exchanger (or water heater for that matter) in terms of kW, so you can't expect 600W electric elements to compete.

As Jim points out, there's a lot of screen to clear in a Nova/Eagle, and poor ventilation which only a really effective demisting system (or A/C) can clear.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi

I dont have heating in my buggy but when it rains it is a bit dody, u have to wipe the screen whilst driving sometimes which is not funny. Although i have never felt cold, it seems to be quite cosy when i have the roof up.

I was the same with the exhaust jim, im sure there must be something a bit better than the demisters but ....

My problem is the domino effect with my dash, i dont want it looking great then have to yank it out again, its which move to make first..

Thanks for all your comments

ant

Ant

You don't 'have' to mount a heater under the dash. I have installed vents in the centre console, under the screen and in the side pockets (which is where you need them) all fed from a heater/blower taken from a Fiat X19 mounted behind the passenger seat. It is designed to be a water based system because I have water jacket heat exchangers fitted to my air cooled Beetle engine. The advantage is that the unit has a good sized 2 speed fan that can power the vents providing good airflow. It may be possible to replace the water heat exchanger in the unit with some other form of heating if you didn't have a water cooled engine or exchangers like mine. See pictures of it on the last page of my homepage site below.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Hi ant i have brought an inverter and will be useing ,now this will sound funny a couple of hair dryer fans and elements to blow warm/hot air on to the windscreen nice and cheap and should warm up the cabin

heard of that being done before with an inverter and with a long lead, long lead only for first demist not a 50 mile journey. But then you would be able to find your way back home again, like sat nav 1800's style.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Cheers Mick, will do.

Up to my eyes in gubbins at the mo.

Just finished an album, so looking forward to some quality nova time soon

cheers

ant

Has anyone done seat heaters yet? I think you can get items that sit on, or under your upholstery and are 12V powered. True, it doesn't de-mist your screen, but it might keep your backside warm.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Got those on the 'to-get' list when I get that far. I'm planning on a set of Miata heaters off of Fleabay... pretty cheap, but I think any generic seat heater will work.