Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbybrown's Red Nova!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Bobbybrown's Red Nova!

Most automotive relays (all the stuff from Maplins etc.) are non-latching, i.e. they have to be powered all the time in one direction. This makes them unsuitable for use in a typical Nova control circuit (I say typical because there are many ways of doing it, some of which can use non-latching relays). So the Maplin relay is a no-no.

The Durite one looks like it performs a similar action to the VW headlamp relay, but you would need to establish which terminals are being connected to which in each position (and the function of the resistor) before dropping it into the Nova circuit. It may have to be modified in the same way as the VW item, and is no cheaper than VW Heritage.

Starter solenoids are all non-latching, and as I said before, they can all handle the current, so its really a matter of preference what you choose. The Ford ones have a handy mounting bracket built in, but a Rover one should also work OK.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Excellent, thanks Lauren.
    Do you happen to know the price of the correct relays from VW Heritage?
    Any product number etc would be fabulous too
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

This one?

VW Heritage stock number 111-941-583/AC
    can be found here:
    http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Standa...%2D583%2FAC%2F

I asked using the online help and they directed me to that one, £13.50 in the UK.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

probably from a rover as I may have a starter motor from a rover in the shed.
    I thought that all the Rover starters were pre engaged units where the solenoid is attached to the starter. You require a none pre engaged solenoid (stand alone solenoid for want of a better description) such as early mini's and Fords in fact most pre 1970 starters would probably be inertia starters and have separate solenoids. I realise you could split the solenoid from the starter but it would seem to be more effort than necessary when you can buy cheap units anyway.

possibly, but if there is one in the shed I will see if it can be split up, speeds up progress that little bit more then.

Otherwise its off to ebay for an old ford or a mini solenoid.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown
    This one?

VW Heritage stock number 111-941-583/AC
    can be found here:
    http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Standa...%2D583%2FAC%2F

I asked using the online help and they directed me to that one, £13.50 in the UK.
    Yup, that's the one!

BBC is right, European pre-engaged starter motors tend to have combined solenoid/throwout levers built into the motor housing. Not easy to separate the functions. Oddly enough, in the US pre-engaged starters continued to be built with separate (bracket mounted) solenoids right through the 70's. Same with the alternator voltage regulators, which were a separate box bolted on the bulkhead when in Europe manufacturers were busy putting the regulators into the alternator itself. Probably just a way to make more money when they go wrong

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Great, so thats one bit sorted, will order that when some money comes in
    I'm on the hunt for a solenoid!
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

BobbyBrown,
    I have a few starters sitting under my bench, I'll have a look tonight to see if I have a starter solinoid. You could also try bike wreckers as they tend to have nice compact starter solinoids on them. I scrapped a GPZ750 a couple of years ago & if you are a lucky sod I may still have the solinoid kicking about. As for ford relays, I also have a set of them from a probe (I think) what ones do you want as you can have them for a donation to euro-nova forum .

Let me know & I'll have a look tonight & catalog them for you.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

the relay I need is the latching chageover relays, as Lauren said above, to control the canopy and the starter solonoid, also for the canopy
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Bobby

I have to use 4 of these solenoids for my canopy mechanisim and I bought them from my local Proparts dealer or autofactors they are just known as remote starter solenoids which are still use on some industrial vehicles. They cost about £9 +vat. Give them a ring and ask someone will know what you are after.

Good Luck with the rebuild.

NN
    Better be patient on the road than a patient in hospital.