Thread: Bell crank - throttle kit

Bell crank - throttle kit

Hi all,

You may recall some discussions about this a while ago. I am looking to fit a bell crank in the throttle cable to help conver the pedal movement to the right amount of carb movement.

Is anyone aware of a part out there that will do the job to avoid me reinventing the wheel (again!)

I am aware of motorbike throttle ratio kits for handlebar throttles, but not seen anything for cars.

Re: Bell crank - throttle kit

Jim,
    I've not seen any so you may be left with reinventing the wheel!!!

The Mazda engine in the reek has a progressive bell crank on it. Lots of pedal movement at the start for little throttle movement & then visa-versa for flat out.

Best of luck

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Bell crank - throttle kit

Tilton pedal boxes usually come with an impressive alloy bellcrank on the pedal shaft - its got lots of holes in different places so you can optimise your throttle/carb relationship. I'm not aware of a separate piece to do the same trick though, certainly not for an original Beetle.

I need to do something similar for Green Machine - although the hydraulic throttle is very smooth in operation, it has quite a stiff action and the pedal has a short travel, which makes metering in the power tricky. I would prefer a longer, more progressive throttle action, which for me means a revised bellcrank on the carburettor balance bar and a repositioned pushrod mounting on the pedal.

Good luck re-inventing the wheel!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!