Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Features - What to look for

Camera Features - What to look for

What features should we be looking for? Color? Resolution? FOV (field of view)? Manufacturers?

What suggestions do you have?
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Re: Camera Features - What to look for

Most will probably be color, I would go for resolution, fov and LEDs for added light. No clue on make and model. Sorry nic.

I will have to try and get some pics of day and night, but with this wet weather I have had not had a chance to change the starter.
    I will have to dig out the box and post some specs of my set up even if it is not in a finished position.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

I suspect an awful lot of the cheaper cameras are identical units in slightly different packaging - I've certainly seen round cameras exactly like the one fitted in my rectangular casing. The infra-red LEDs are worth going for, but be careful where you place the camera, if your reversing lights illuminate it (or your numberplate light for that matter) the sensor will be fooled and they won't come on......
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Absolutely correct - there are only two types of imaging camera on the market and both use small modular board cameras as a basis. The one to go for is the CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) rather than the cheaper CMOS (Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) variety - the resolution of the latter is too poor.

FOV may not be an option for most packaged cameras (it wasn't for mine), and with most vehicle mount cameras being sold as back-up aids you will (like me) get a very wide FOV which will make it very hard to see whats going on at speed.

My back-up camera came with a 90° lens to start with. I've had the hardware for 2 years anyway so I didn't have an qualms about opening it up. I had a spare CCD board camera with a 78° FOV lens which showed that I was moving in the right direction, but sitting in the car parked in a quiet sidestreet with the canopy closed I determined how much more I could constrain the camera FOV before the exterior mirrors took over. I settled for a 30° reduction, or a 48° FOV. I got two replacement board camera lens, one with a 58° FOV and one with a 48° FOV and I'm very happy with the latter, although even that could be reduced a bit more.

You can get the cameras without the packaging and make up your own housing - wiring is very simple, as they all conform to the single wire 1V pk-pk composite video CCIR standard, with a single +12V and ground lead.

I know Jim likes his IR LEDs, but I am yet to be convinced that they are that useful for anything other than short range vision. The CCD has a remarkable sensitivity, far more than the human eye, so can resolve detail at night with much lower light levels. In addition, the CCD sensitivity extends into the near infra-red which is why IR LEDs are often used for back-up cams.

But if you are driving at night, you will have your sidelights on, and may well have reversing (back-up) lights as well. I have found that even the 5W glow from my side markers is enough to illuminate the area behind the car at night.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Thanks all, great info. I found this as well. Pretty much what you all said, but with some additional info.

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Choos...00000000037397
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

Only use for Led's so far is reversing towards bushes at night with canopy down.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

***EDIT*** I'm an idot... If you read the ebay link above, it answers all my questions below. But, I'll leave this post strictly for the info and the links. Consequently, the 28mm 1/3 CCD camera appears to be better than the other one listed below, per the ebay article.

***EDIT #2 - 10/16/08*** I did not purchase the cameras below as they did not have the image reverse function. See my other post on page 2 for the camera I did purchase.

If a product doesn't mention the FOV, how can one tell what it is? I came across this item and it sounded decent for $30.00
    http://www.yotang.com/28mm-car-camera-wholesale_p62
    28mm Car Camera
    1. Image sensor SHARP 1/3color CCD
    2. Effective pixels PAL: 512(H)*582(V)
    3. NTSC: 512(H)*492(V)
    4. Resolution 420 TVL (Enhanced)
    5. Vertical sync frequency PAL: 50HZ NTSC: 60HZ
    6. Minimum lumination 1Lux
    7. Lens angle 2.8 mm
    8. Electronic shutter 1/50-1/10000 sec
    9. S/N Ratio Better than 48dB
    10. White balance auto
    11. AGC auto
    12. Sync. System internal
    13. Video output 1.0 Vpp 75ohm
    14. Operating temperature -20deg C - 50degC
    15. Power supply DC12V
    16. Current consumption 100mA
    17. Dimension Dia. 28mm Length 63mm
    18. Package dimension Length*width*height 80*60*50 mm

And then there is a 22mm camera for $53.00
    http://www.yotang.com/ccd-22mm-car-camera-wholesale_p60
    PickupDevice:1/4 IP66
    Resolution:640H*596V 480TV Line
    System:NTSC/PAL
    ElecticShutter:PAL:625Lines.25Field/sec
    Power:120WA/12V Cibsynotion:0.8W
    Water proof:IP66 £¨AGC£©AUTO
    Lens:BoardLens2.0mm/F.135
    BoardLens1.5mm/F.170
    S/N Ratio:>=48dB(AGCDEF)
    AlarmDistancemark:About 0.5M/1M...
    Minimum lllumination:0.3LUX
    Operating Temperature:-30-C85¡æ
    VideoOutput:1.0VPP
    Spec:30pcs/cartonGW9.5KGS
    Dimension:34*29.5*31.5CM

Is the 22mm better than the 28mm? Im hoping for some help in deciphering what some of this means. Thanks gang.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

From a quick look at the specs it would appear that the cheaper and bigger camera has the larger sensor (1/3" against 1/4") BUT the more expensive and smaller camera will work down to 0.3 lux (against 1.0) so it would appear to be more sensitive. Smaller one will be easier to fit so you pays your money and takes your choice!

Spec:30pcs/cartonGW9.5KGS
    So does that mean you're looking at 30 cameras for $53 dollars?
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Blimey! That second camera is small - all the scanning and interlacing chipset is housed in the same footprint as the CCD - impressive, but probably not worth the additional expense for a non-covert application like ours.

The first one is very similar to the cameras supplied for domestic security, PCs and the like, and as Jim says, has a cluster of IR LEDs as well. The smaller camera, being more sensitive probably doesn't need them!

Both use 1V pk-pk output format, so will be compatible with all standard LCD and CRT monitors. Not sure about the "lens angle" for the first camera, the second one has more common F-stop numbers which I have forgotten about. There is a formula I used for the focal length calculations which includes FOV, but I can't remember it...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!