Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Features - What to look for

Re: Camera Features - What to look for

On to the topic of IR LEDs. It seems most cameras have built in IR LED's for night time back up, and most have about 9. From what I have seen/read, 9 really isn't enough. I came across some 28 IR LED flash lights running on 3 AAA batteries. Thats 4.5 volts right? Do you think 12V will burn them out, or increase the output? I assume I would need to throw in a 470 ohm resistor as well. Would it be useful to cannibalize one of these and "mount" it on the rear bumper?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-IR-Infrared-...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

With IR LED's having a relatively short range, more isn't necessarily better. What's the intended purpose, Nic? I had contemplated...and still am...finding one of those Cadillac night vision systems from a few years ago. A medium size camera for the lack of a better word took the place of the Caddy logo in the grille, and sent the images to a dash mounted screen. I have to do some more research to see what electronics were being used.

Intended purpose is to use with or without reversing lights I guess. Let us know what you find about the Cadillac parts.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Wow! I didn't realise you could get a Caddy with a forward view HUD. It may have used an image intensifier rather than an IR camera. The CCDs around today are sensitive into the near IR region, so they can benefit from IR LED illumination, but as Rick says, the range of an LED cluster just isn't good enough to work over any distance - just think of the current crop of LED indicators - they're bright, no denying, but you wouldn't want to replace your headlights with them - yet.

What you have to remember is that when your tail lights are on, they are running at 5-6W apiece, and they are incandescent filament bulbs with reflectors to focus their energy towards the back of the car. As a by-product of the light they produce, they also pump out heat - infra-red in fact. Its no surprise to discover that my 5W taillights outshine my IR LEDs at night!

Military vehicles on night manouvres often use IR filters over their headlights to create a near-invisible (to the naked eye) beam and use IR night vision goggles. Factory security systems often have an IR lamp to illuminate the dark corners - the lamp is usually a rectangular grid, which is essentially just an electric bar fire.

If you had a 55W quartz halogen filament bulb in your back-up lights, with a suitable IR filter, you'd get plenty of range, and all that passers-by would see would be a dull glow.

Image intensifiers work differently, they are essentially a tube with a number of electrically charged plates. Any stray photons entering the tube are collected by the plates, which trigger the release of multiple electrons, which hit more plates triggering more electrons. The system is damped so it doesn't avalanche, but the number of electrons (pseudo-photons) emerging from the tube is far greater than the number of photons going in, so the resulting image is clearer.

The image is always monochrome, because the intensifier only amplifies photons, there is no wavelength differentiation. Made famous by images of anti-aircraft fire over downtown Bagdad.

You can get night-vision monoscopes for hunting and stuff - shouldn't be too expensive in the US, thanks to the NRA and they wouldn't be difficult to rig up to a standard CCD camera. Then you really would have true night vision, instead of the strange world of IR - I was driving into work yesterday and it was interesting to note how the sunlight reflecting from the trees appeared markedly different to the view in the rear view mirrors

You need to tell us more about this Caddy system Rick!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

i wouldnt drive with night vision goggles on
    they mess with your eye sight.
    you have them on for 15 min you have to take a 5 min brake
    -thestevie

I wasn't suggesting you drive with night vision goggles, that's what the IR camera would be for - the display would be in the normal visible light range.

Do you have some experience with night vision goggles thestevie?

yeah i do have experience with them
    i took a class on them
    well it was part of a security class

the only bad thing i can say about them is that they are one focus only
    this is way you cant drive with them. you set it to a range and you cant see anything out of that range.
    that and the head lights of other cars would fry it and you wouldnt be able to see after the fist few drives
    -thestevie

My first couple of links for Cadillac's Night Vision. If it's built by Raytheon, it's going to be expensive....
    http://www.marlow.com/Applications/D...ion_system.htm
    For a more technical article: http://www.vxm.com/Impact.cadillac.nitevision.html
    And for those who just have to have the latest MilSpec gadgets: http://www.thermal-eye.com/default.asp?nodeid=207

Hmmmm.....I think the extra $2K+ could go to something more...uh...useful for the car....

Hmm - very interesting. But as you say, ultimately there are probably more important things to spend your hard-earned on.

So its an infra-red night vision system rather than a image intensifier, and it uses a matrix array pyrometer instead of a CCD matrix - very nice.

My only objection to the HUD arrangement is that the IR image is not projected onto the screen at 1:1 scale (difficult to achieve with different size drivers sitting closer/further away from the windscreen) and is offset from the driver line of vision. Probably a limitation of the available LCD display amongst other things...

So you think Raytheon stuff is expensive huh? Don't come to us for spacecraft hardware then

Lauren

Here are the specs on the camera I just purchased from e-bay... more about personal opinions when I get to play with it a bit.

Features:
    Picture Quality - Excellent picture quality for both Day (Color) & Night (Black/Write) vision even in completely dark area?vision distance at darkness around 5m, with the same lens 1/3 CCD give a wider angle of view then 1/4 CCD.

Waterproof - This camera comes with the quality compact metal housing, glass, washer.

Reverse Image - Mirror Image. You can see the object at same direction as you see with your eyes (this function is optional depending on whether you want to use it on the back or front)

Keyhole Size -***One of the smallest and most compact on the market designed for car rear view CCD camera with IR LED

Uses - Crystal clear and wide viewing angle 120 degree***depending on the vehicle, purpose or installation position you choose) for Safety Backup of SUV, JEEP, VAN, Boat, Pickup and Sedan As well. No more blind area.

Installation - with angle adjustable rings and fixing rings, you can install it easily at the proper angle you want

***Specifications
    ***Image Sensor - 1/3" SHARP COLOR CCD
    ***TV System - PAL/NTSC optional
    ***Effective Pixels - PAL: 512(H)×582(V) NTSC: 512(H)×492(V)
    ***Horizontal Resolution - 420TVL
    ***Sync Mode - Internal Sync
    ***Scanning System -***2:1 interlace
    ***Video Output - RCA, 1.0Vp-p, 75?
    ***Gamma Characteristic - 0.45
    ***S/N Ratio - ?48db (AGC-OFF)
    ***White Balance - Auto
    ***Backlight Compensation - Auto
    ***Shutter Speed - 1/50(60)-1/100000(second)
    ***Minimum Illumination - 0 Lux /F=2(the infrared LED turns on automatically when there is not enough light)
    ***Infrared LED - 7?3mmIR 850
    ***Lens - 3.6mm/2.9mm optional
    ***lens angle - 120 degrees
    ***Power Supply - DC 12V
    ***Operating Temperature ***-20°C -- + 60°C
    ***Storage Temperature -30°C -- + 80°C
    ***Waterproof Index - IP66
    ***Size - ?30(M25)×74mm
    ***Weight - appr.95g(including wire)
    ***Color - black
    ***Packing box - 1pc/box (white box 9.5*8.5*6.5cm)
    ***Gross Weight - approx.125g
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416