Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Display Features - What to look for

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Display Features - What to look for

Yes, that's about right Alex - even if you buy the bits separately, you are looking at around £35 for a colour TFT monitor and about the same for a packaged CCD board camera, but prices are coming down all the time.

Alex is also right about the exterior mirrors, as they will complement a well set-up telecam system rather than be replaced by it, as I have found out by experience!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I agree with the side mirrors, I do intend to have a set. I actually already have a set, they just sit too close to the body. So a new set will be in order eventually. I should hopefully be receiving my screen today per the tracking info.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Woo Hoo! My screen arrived!!! I haven't tested it yet, I'll get to that tomorrow. One of the things I was concerned about though were the buttons on the top of the back side, how would I get to those if I needed to? If you look at the pictures on the site you can see under the buttons is a piece of tape on the Right side. This covers 4 1/2" long jumpers. That and the tape are the only things connecting the button to the main board. So I can cut those and get some 4 wire cable and make a jumper between the 2 locations! SOOO Excited. I started my 2D dash layout Wed. night and I hope to get further on it this weekend. Hopefully lots of updates Monday. I'd take pictures of the screen, but it looks exactly like it does on the linked site.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

Here is a picture of the screen, plugged into the Wii.

The picture is dark, but the screen is BRIGHT and clear. I think it'll work great.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Looking good Nic - have you got the camera to go with it yet?
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Not yet. Im going to wait until next month so my wife doesn't strangle me with the credit card bill with an extra unplanned $150+....
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

If you're looking for a cheap LCD screen for a rear view telecam, look up the seller “dealtree auctions” on US ebay. I just bought a Polaroid 7” widescreen lcd monitor for $13.00 delivered! No cables or anything else, but what it really is is the second monitor from a dual display dvd system like people buy for the kids in the rear seat of a car. When the dvd player craps out and BestBuy exchanges it under their extended warranty, ever wonder what happens to those perfectly good monitors? They’re selling there for $7 opening bid…SWEET! Just wanted to pass it on, and this looked like a good thread!

EDIT: I'm hoping that the monitor takes a standard RCA video input and has a "hack-able" power jack so i can direct wire it into my car. I'll post more when i get the thing and can crack it open!
    1975 Sterling
    215 ci Buick V8
    Sterling in Garage! Back to work!

For $13, Im giving a shot.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

Well, I just FRIED that 8" Polaroid LCD screen...and my backup camera too, i think.

The LCD says 9vdc input on the side, so i tried a 450mA AC-DC adapter. no luck...not enough power. Okay, try a 600mA model. Yes! It worked, but it had funny lines on the screen and it was in black & white, not color. Maybe not enough amperage yet? okay, if it says 25watts on the back, that's about 3 amps at 9v, so i tossed a 3amp fuse in my bench power supply - but it would only put out 9.5v. Eh, I'll give it a try. It worked - the same as before with the lines and in B&W. Maybe a different source? Hook up the camera...nothing. Maybe I have the power leads on that cheap Chinese camera reverse (they're not labeled, after all). Reverse them...smoke. CRAP! unplug the camera, plug my first video source back in (an old satellite receiver)...POP! the big IC on the back of the LCD just partially melted. I guess it couldn't handle 9.5v or 3amps. Crap...maybe next time i'll buy a nice name brand setup...
    1975 Sterling
    215 ci Buick V8
    Sterling in Garage! Back to work!

that sucks

you do get what you pay for though
    -thestevie