Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parking brake relocation

Parking brake relocation

Has anybody relocated the parking brake to the side of or completely away from the tunnel? Since I am reusing my bus box the shifter rod will be above he tunnel and I really do not want the e-brake in front of the shifter for a number of reasons mainly comfort and cosmetic. Thoughts?

Re: Parking brake relocation

I had thought of movng the handbrake to the drivers side pod utilising an XJS handbrake lever, my thoughts were to open up the area where the pocket is so that access for a hand wouldn't be too compromised and fit a large steel plate on the inside that the lever could be fixed to but I just ended up doing what most people have and used the stock system and shortening the cables to suit.
    The XJS handbrake was located between the drivers seat and the inner sill on the production Jaguar but worked in such away that it was in the lower position even when on so that you could get in and out without it getting in your way. I assume it would be the same in the states.

Someone on samba used the parking brake from a Ford Focus and mounted it on the passenger side of the tunnel. He had to cut an access hole in the side of the tunnel, but I think you could probably do the same thing.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

You know that never dawned on me that I could just move it to the passenger side. Cables aren't that wide and I bet I could fit the e-brake pretty much next to the shifter without really loosing much room. I will have a little bit of a wait still, but once the chassis is back in the garage I will pull the seats down and see where we're at.

... and here it is. Thanks guys for the input. My mind was stuck on an under the dash kind of set up and never got thinking any easier.

Only snag is that the seats are a tight fit without a handbrake to allow for. If this was done it would need to be done on the passenger side as in Australia the drivers seat must be adjustable to pass registration.

Kym

No regulations for adjustable seats here, but I would put it on the passenger side (driver's side in Aus.) so I will make it work.... I hope.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Hi Pog - over here legislation has been relaxed regarding hydraulic parking brakes, 'cos Citroen kept using them even when UK regulations said they shouldn't

Anyway, now everyone is allowed to use hydraulic park brakes there are a plethora of standard and fly-off types available (the Jag brake that BBC described above was a fly-off handbrake), but also a number of "line lock" type systems that operate on push buttons and stuff.

Would a drag-style line lock on the rear circuit satisfy US regs?

Just a thought. The handbrake can be very obtrusive in a Nova/Sterling, although mine acts as a handy armrest

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

AND if you want to be uber cool ... you get a hand brake level designed by the MAN himself... Richard Oaks
    http://www.triggerhandbrakes.com/index.htm
    I think the clubman is what would work best.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Yeah, been thinking off getting one myself, and damn the expense! They are ubercool.

The Clubman would be the one to use if you're going to mount it on the side of the tunnel, and the Flat Floor would be for the top of the tunnel. I emailed them earlier this year when I was a little more cashed up about which one. They don't have one based on the VW Beetle, but suggested a slight mod to the tunnel. Since I was thinking about relocating the hand brake back a bit, could do it at the same time.

8]