Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parking brake relocation

Re: Parking brake relocation

Try Volvo 240/245 handbrake assembly, fits flat to the top of the tunnel so it can be mounted anywhere and by using a couple of off the shelf lengths of steel M8 tubing you can run the original cables over the top of the chassis.
    I fitted my gear change (Skoda 1300) first and it just happened to be in over the handbrake position and then I worried about a handbrake and I too looked at various types including umberella handle, side mounted, hydraulic, (illegal then) etc and after driving my local scapyard nuts came up with the Volvo one for £5, has a bandbrake warning switch built in as well and is fully adjustable. cables just need a bit triming off of the threaded part.
    Peter

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I need to get the e-brake off of the tunnel which is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though Peter.

Might sound like a daft question but why do you need to clear the centre tunnel? My set up could be mounted as far back as the rear of the chassis as need be? Are you sitting so low your elbow would hit it?
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

Peter -
    Since the car came with a bus box the nose cone sits 2-3inches higher thus putting the shift rod above the tunnel. If I kept the e-brake above the tunnel I would be forced to raise that up in order to mount it over the shift rod. I hope this picture kind of shows what I am talking about:

I hated how the shifter was set so far back so it will need to be moved forward giving me two options - either move the ebrake forward as well or move it off the tunnel.

Ah HA, all is clear now. I have a cunning plan, so cunning even the weasels don't know it, (OK, enough of Blackadder).
    How about a Mercedes 190E unit mounted on the side of the tunnel and a one into two cable connector behind the seat side area to reduce interference with the seat, and on over the rear suspension tube. Cables can be made up by Speedy Cables (http://www.speedycables.co.uk) to your spec but I guess you must have someone simular in the States.
    If you take a look under most cars (including the 190E) you will find a one into two gadget on the handbrake system of one sort or another or you could make one and incorprate adjusters as well.
    Peter

This is the same as on my LHD Mercedes 190e Cosworth so I guess they are all the same LH && RH

And just to clear up the hydraulic thing, no you can't fit one, it's officially called an "emergency brake" not a "hand brake" and is for when a complete hydraulic failure happens as well as parking, so no line locks.

That's pretty much what i'm looking for, except it needs to be mountable on the passenger side (U.S. style that is). Been browsing Ebay for my options so we'll see.

It's already been mentioned, but why not go for a Trigger handbrake? I'd go for a Clubman for the mounting on the side of the tunnel. They're £71.66 (not including p&h) (that's around $106 USD),but sure looks the goods.

And just to clear up the hydraulic thing, no you can't fit one, it's officially called an "emergency brake" not a "hand brake" and is for when a complete hydraulic failure happens as well as parking, so no line locks.
    Eeerrrrr Yes you can, so long as it is a totally separate system to the foot brake hydraulic's. (so line locks no but hydraulics yes).

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Yes, that was my understanding as well. The hydraulic handbrakes I have seen come with their own master cylinder, although I am not sure if they are supposed to plumb into existing hydraulic circuits (so only the master cylinder is independant) or have their own slave cylinders/calipers etc.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Yes you can have hydraulic handbrake but it must be a completely separate circuit as in master cylinder, supply, lines and callipers so you would need to mount two callipers to the selected discs (front or rear), otherwise if there was a leak on the brake line adjacent to the brake calliper your 'inline' handbrake wouldn't work either. What you cannot do, and it would be bad practice anyway, would be to have your handbrake using ANY part of the normal hydraulics of the cars braking normal system.
    On the subject of location of the Mercedes lever, that is from a LH drive model, same as mine, it fits next to the drivers seat, it's only about 1/2" thick including bolt heads.