Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank question

Re: Fuel tank question

I have used a filler cap fitting from a Jag XJ (they have 2, which are lockable, oval flip-tops) and mounted it on the wing. It needed some fabrication of a reducer pipe (stainless) as the throat of the XJ item is 2.5" but the tank inlet is 2.0". This then goes through a couple of 90 deg bends to join the original Beetle tank under the rear window. Haven't noticed it being slow, but haven't visited the pumps yet - only filled from a jerry-can. It does lock though so prevents the hooligans with fireworks that live near Alex.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Mine was mounted in the wing with no problem filling the standard VW tank. I fitted a 2" filler neck into the top side left rear of the tank and blanked off the original filling point.

Kym

PS can someone have a look at why my picture won't post. Since upgrading to IE8 I can't copy the IMG code straight from photobucket

Thanks Rick

thats your problem IE8
    -thestevie

Probably....(IE8, that is...). Fixed it for you, Kym. There was an extra variable in the string that was keeping it from posting.

I used an Aerocap under the louvre, I didn't use the lockable version (which is also available) as my louvre locks and is released from inside the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman
    I used an Aerocap under the louvre, I didn't use the lockable version (which is also available) as my louvre locks and is released from inside the cabin.
    Ever have an issue with spilling on the paint when filling?

mine is the same as yours mick, how does the fuel go in to the tank, is it from the side? do you have a pick?

cheers

ant

I don't know about Islandman, but I find it's only too easy to spill fuel whilst getting the nozzle to my filler (which is under the louvre, sticks up a couple of inches.) I found a really nifty rubber moulding that sits neatly and tight round the tube, protects about 2" all round and looks like it should always have been there. The source? If you have a Dyson vacuum to dismantle, you'll find they all have them as the air seal round the fan intake............
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

mine is like that too sticks up some

i haven't filled it yet but judging by how people handle my 240Z it will spill.
    (in NJ its against the law to pump your own gas)
    so i'm pretty sure the teenager will spill it all over my car.
    stupid kids
    -thestevie

Mine was the same way. I did the Englishtown show years ago and had to stop for gas on the way back. The car had the full louvers on it so the gas fill couldn't be seen from the outside. The guy stepped out...looked at the car, then at me, and said "go ahead - I'm not touching it". So you might get away with filling your own tank....or not...