Thread: looking for electrical key switch

looking for electrical key switch

Hi Guys,
    I`m looking for a center off double throw, single or double pole key switch? I`ve looked online and the only one that I think even comes close is by a company from U.K. called Malpin. can`t get them to send me a response to any questions? anybody ever delt with them or know a source for the switch I`m looking for?
    More Toys Please!!!

Re: looking for electrical key switch

RaythO

You don't state a location in your profile, but I'm guessing you in the States. Maplin are a national chain of Elecronic part suppliers that cover most of UK big towns and cities (and also a lot of countries worldwide) - a bit like RadioShack. I've used them for years, their postal service is very quick, and they do overseas delivery.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

I think what you're looking for is a "Double Momentary" switch. Look here, about 2/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/w...cessories.html

I have a similiar keyed switch for raising/lowering my canopy on the outside.

Thanks chuck, that`s what I`m looking for. I have a friend checking his work for one of a switch panel that he can salvage for me, but I`ll order this one if he doesn`t. By the way, hows your car coming? You think you`ll make it to Mid America with it this year?
    More Toys Please!!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Don't bother with the Maplin switch - it is very poor quality. I bought one thinking it would be just right for the external canopy keyswitch, but I should have known given the price was £7.99 or thereabouts

In the end I got a really nice switch from Digikey, who are a US-based electronics supplier, although the parts are actually shipped from the country of manufacture, with all additional shipping and Customs duties added. So I paid around £35 in the end (I think the switch shipped from Japan to the UK), but the improvement in quality more than makes up for it!

Give them a go if your street rod supplier lets you down

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Lauren, I know it was a while ago, but do you have the info on the keyed switch you bought still? I'm in need of a replacement, and they're getting rare as rocking horse poo around here.

I've still got this switch if anyone wants it:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2879

The quality couldn't be better.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyCo
    Lauren, I know it was a while ago, but do you have the info on the keyed switch you bought still? I'm in need of a replacement, and they're getting rare as rocking horse poo around here.
    Hi Cyco - I only needed an SPST keyswitch because I am using a modified VW headlamp relay to provide the latching changeover switching for the hydraulic pump. But I had a look on the Digi-key website and there are a couple of Omron process control switches (like the one Giles has got actually), which should fit the bill - centre off, 3-position momentary or latching, with key removal in the centre (off) position.

Digi-key part numbers are

A22K-3MC-20-ND and A22K-3AC-20-ND

Cost in GBP is 23.59 and 24.80 each, but you need to factor in the shipping cost from wherever the switch is manufactured, which is probably Japan, so shipping to Aus might actually work out quite well for you! Give 'em a Google and see what turns up!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Thanks. Will check that out.