Thread: Fuel tank sender seal (VW tank)

Fuel tank sender seal (VW tank)

Hi all,

Anyone had experience of changing the seal around the sender plate?

I popped the rear window tunnel out tonight ahead of some interior works (more of that later) and found this

I think the sender must be leaking slowly when the tank is full - it refers to his in the Haynes and says the answer is not filling the tank !

I know you cannjot remove all of the screws without losing the retainer ring inside the tank, so how do you change the seal? Or shall I just seal with a suitable mastic/sealant?

Thoughts please - never like the idea of loose petrol !

Re: Fuel tank sender seal (VW tank)

Um - I've removed all the screws from mine on a number of occasions, before finding a sender that worked with my gauge (well sort of) - never lost the retaining ring, so maybe my tank has been adapted? I did change the seal for a less old and cracked one and now don't get the 'full tank weep' effect......

Just a thought though - is all that dark staining behind and to the right of the sender also fuel damage? If so, perhaps it's a leak from the filler which is running around the sender and taking the paint off there as well?
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Jim

I have a similar tank and sender unit and have removed it and changed for a new one. The tank had threaded inserts in the tank with no retaining ring. The only thing I noticed is that the hole pattern only allows the sender to be fitted in one orientation so that the float arm does not foul on the tank interior.

Hope this helps

Nigel
    Better be patient on the road than a patient in hospital.

Like was stated already, nothing to worry about. Pull out those screws and replace that seal.

Cheers all,

I had nearly forgotten how much this forum can keep you sane !

This is what the tank used to look like

The staining elsewhere is Waxoyl I liberally applied before sealing up the window tunnel.

Will head to VW Heritage this week to get a new seal.

Is the seal sufficient alone, or should I use a suitable sealant?

Cheers again

i replaceds mine when i changed tanks there should be threaded inserts, use a smear of petrol resistand sealant just to help stop leaks.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

OK with that view I can see that the petrol had to come from the sender, your filler isn't in the top like mine! Never does any harm to add some extra sealer, the 'belt and braces' approach is the best one.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*