Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your rear end!

Show us your rear end!

There has been a lot of talk on what makes the difference between a “nice Nova” and an often seen “tired example” and quite often it comes down to the interior finish as well as what has been done to the “rear end” to hide the engine and exhaust system.

As I mentioned in one of Hildi25 posts for me the difference between a good rear end is the “curves and contours” versus “flat sided panels” approach.

As so many people have approached this is different ways I thought it would be good to start a thread on showing examples of different Rear Ends, either good or bad so that we can all learn and take inspiration from them.

So to start off here is an example of what I consider to be a very nicely finished rear end. Whilst it extends down very low to cover what’s behind it, its done in such a way that hides the overall mass and is in keeping with the overall shape of the car.

Feel free to share other examples (Good and Bad!)

Re: Show us your rear end!

I had a trawl through some of my photo collection and found a few more to highlight my point

The Mark I – Arguably still one of the best, but with limited engines and exhausts that can be hidden by it

The Mark II – Oh dear that wrap around bumper!

The Mark IV

The flat back approach – see my point

The unfortunate matting of 2 incompatible species

Make your own mind up

More Curves and Contours

I'll add my much-altered Mk1 to your list (still don't know what the lights are, my MOT bloke suggested early Toyota Celica....)

It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Alex, Good use of diagonal cut outs to break up the flat area.

My rear end went from the lovely (Not!) MKII

To the Mark III. I’m not that crazy on the bumper and I have tried to make use of horizontal louvers in the rear to break up the space as well as let heat out. I’m hoping when painted one colour that it looks better than it does now

[

Tried for the 'built in' look but I would still like to hide the exhaust header and possible build in a low spoiler as on the Ferraris.
    Ford sierra bonnet vents, MkII Golf bumper, Vauxhall Caviller MkII lights, Ford version boot lid.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

As you can see from my Mk IV back end it's all exhaust and shown, I plan to raise the rear pipes to exit through the 2 supplied cut outs where there are reflectors.
    Problem is the boxes are a bit close to the back for nicley curved pipes to be formed, also I don't want the pipes to stick out too far. I hope to find some nice short stainless twin pipes for the back, I will have to take it somwhere to ask advice.

then when that's done extend the back down but with mesh so heat can escape, the 4 slots would look nice with stainless mesh as well.
    The catches that do nothing for looks are there for ease of access to the engine, until I find a better method whilst keeping it easy they will have to stay. My days of bendy limbs and long gone.

Lights are Mk11 cavalier turned upside down, as this was the thought when the panel was designed. The exhaust when the picture was taken was not set right and is more in line with each box now, there is some scope to move the boxes back but the axle is not too far away.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

i was planning on putting the lights behind a mesh covering
    like the orbitron
    -thestevie

MK1 with a 3 inch extension to help cover the low exhaust. Its the only view of the Nova which can let it down a bit.

Sorry its a bit distant.

Nigel
    Better be patient on the road than a patient in hospital.

jimcub has the same system and the same problem but I cut off the curvy tailpipes.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl