Thread: whats best, wireless or leads?

whats best, wireless or leads?

What are the best types of reversing cam, baring in mind the price?

Im looking at these on fleabay at the mo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0169570166

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0330246780

Any thoughts?

cheers

Ant

Re: whats best, wireless or leads?

Not going to see much out of a 2.5" screen, I have a 7" widescreen on mine, with a wired camera. To many things to interfer with a wireless signal.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

cheers jim, like to get a few opinions before i go for one.

thanks again

ant

Went wired with mine when I fitted it several years back now - wireless might be convenient if you've got something expensive and fully carpeted, but routing a wire up the middle or side of a Nova isn't going to be very taxing, is it? Judging by the amount of times I have to retune the widget that sends FM from MP3 player to car stereo on a trip, wireless could well be a pain in the bot too. Incidently, I had the chance of buying two cameras and two receivers for a fiver today - but passed on it! Screen size is up to you, difficult to fit a large one into a Mk1 dash without it looking tacky, but not much point with less than 4" - it just be a gadget that you couldn't rely on.
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Just looked at your two Ebay links - the first one is definitely cheap and nasty, the second one looks better - though the camera unit is rather large. Mine came with a nice finned aluminium box with all the gubbins in that fits between the camera and the screen, handling the auto-switching from the reversing light switch. Doesn't look like these less expensive units work like that!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Thanks Alex
    If you see something that you think would be good could you flag it up in this thread via an ebay link.

Would the cams you passed up have been do-able ???? bugger, tis always the way is'nt it!!!

Cheers

Ant

Bargains like that come from boot sales rather than ebay - yes they would have been doable, though you'd still have needed a screen, and some method of auto-switching from the reversing lights. Since they've only really got common in the last 3 or 4 years, were managed without pretty well before then and unless you get them really 'right' are only a gimick I wouldn't have put one at the top of your list for getting the car on the road though!

Oh you are very right there Alex, plenty of horrid jobs to do before then!, but might be helpful if you see something for the future.

Cheers

Ant

This is pretty much exactly ( ) the setup I bought off Ebay a while back - though it cost a bit less than this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-camera-r ... dZViewItem

I use a wireless setup on my truck for backing up to the boat trailer (yeah, I know, boats and kit cars, its amazing I have any cash at all) and it works fine. However, the display is mounted on the sun visor so its about 10 inches from my face when I'm looking at it. Much more distance and it may be difficult to pick up enough detail to be useful.