Thread: What Mk is that?

What Mk is that?

For those that were asking, and because I OUGHT to have done it ages ago
    These pictures should make you an instant Nova Anorak!

Roof lines (note: Canopies are interchangeable, and it can be cheaper to buy a canopy with screen rather than just a screen - so your car may have an earlier or later canopy on its body! - or an earlier for that matter )

Mk1

This has the factory fitted sunroof also. Notice how little GRP there is above the windscreen? Very low headroom.... ask me how I know
    Mk2

Extra Inch added by the Elams (coupled with about the same amount round the inside of the body tub) means you get quite a large 'brow' above the screen, with a pronounced change in slopes. (When looked at close up, It's got rather a ripply finish too!)
    There is no officially known MK3........
    Mk 4

Sam Cobley reworked the canopy (I've got the mould!) angling the screen a little more steeply so that the transition to the 'brow' made more sense - he also did a better job of not incorporating ripples!

Bonnets. There's two sorts: with or without nostrils. Mk1s have nostrils Mk2s don't and Mk 4s can have either.....but then since they're a direct swap (and Eureka ones are identical too) you may have either on any age of car........
    Mk1 (ignore the pop-ups - they were never an option!)

Mk 2/4 smooth

Rear ends
    Early Mk1

Later Mk1

The Delightful Mk2

Mk 4

Front ends
    Mk 1 (but it's got a Mk2 bonnet!) (note the air intakes below the lights)(and thanks Lauren, I have the mould for this )

Mk2 (intakes filled in)

Mk 4 (Number plate mount moulded in) (I've got the mould for this too...)

Dashboards
    Mk1 (two seperate pods)

Mk2 (one continuous cover - same undertray moulding)

Mk 4

Right - that's a start: I haven't put up the engine covers or side pockets, (but I will!) and I'll swap some better pictures for ones that aren't as good as they should be......I realised that I can't use my Nova for a model for most of the Mk1 shots because it's not got many areas that are still stock......

And thanks and/or appologies to anybody who's car has been featured without me asking.. :
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: What Mk is that?

That's a good start Alex - should answer most identification queries.

I noticed you didn't plug the Mk1 front undertray... I seem to recall you might have the pattern for that somewhere in your mould mountain

If the script on the back of the early Mk1 is to be believed, its one of the "pirate" Novas made after the collapse of ADD by Steve Driver. The Nova SSD moulds were taken off an ADD Mk1 bodyshell. Can't recall if they were available in coloured gel coat - the rival Don Law Novas were only available in self-coloured fibreglass and had to be painted...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

cheers for that very handy to be able to have quick look an know what something is straight away. Do you ever rent any of your moulds out ? not sure what i need yet but always handy to know of a source,at the moment i have a complete mgf,an mgf bare shell,and a nova shell all in diffrent parts of the country an none even in norfolk yet ! but thats more than i had a few weeks ago so it must be progress

Cheers,
    This is a great help, so I have a MK2 Canopy, Bonnet and Dash, and a MK1 Rear End.
    I would like to get another Bonnet possibly MK1 some time as I had a huge gap between the perspex covers, or is this normal on a Nova?
    Dec

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdec
    Cheers,
    This is a great help, so I have a MK2 Canopy, Bonnet and Dash, and a MK1 Rear End.
    I would like to get another Bonnet possibly MK1 some time as I had a huge gap between the perspex covers, or is this normal on a Nova?
    Dec
    I vaguely recall someone mentioning this before, I think it was a mk2 bonnet and it was either too thin, or removed from the mould too early, maybe it needs a little "straightening"?

Alex, ideal article!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdec
    Cheers,
    Hi Dec - you might actually have a Mk2 rear undertray as well. The reason for this is that underneath the hideous Mk2 bumper/light panel, the Elams simply used a lightly modified Mk1 rear undertray as the basis for the Mk2. The difference between the two is that the Mk2 has a flat, unprofiled panel in the centre, whereas the Mk1 had various dips and bumps moulded in, conforming to the oil filler spout and other features on the VW engine.

The fibreglass layup on the later Elam cars was a lot thinner than the earlier Mk1s, so yes, it is quite possible that your bonnet has warped/distorted over time.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!