Thread: Do disc brake bearings need to be pressed in?

Do disc brake bearings need to be pressed in?

Well... do they? I'm installing the front discs and need to know if the inner and outer bearings need to be pressed in or can I just try to whack/tap them in. Neither one drops in and it appears the inner bearings need to go in pretty far because of the bearing seal.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Re: Do disc brake bearings need to be pressed in?

I did not press them in, grabbed a socket and a mallet and tapped the outer rings in. That being said I am sure a press would have worked but I didn't have one readily available so the socket worked just fine.

There you go! From what I've read most guys just tap them in, with or without an available sized socket.

Thanks guys!
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

Good trick when faced with this sort of problem and can't find a suitable tube or socket: take the old bearings you've removed, grind just a smidge off the outer face, then use them as a drift to drive the replacements in. (grinding not always needed, but ensures you don't accidently 'fit' the old bearing as well as the new one......)
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I ended up using the non-toothed end of a hole saw, worked perfectly.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

Quote Originally Posted by Nic
    I ended up using the non-toothed end of a hole saw, worked perfectly.
    Sweet.

The saga of my rear brakes continues to live on. Here is the quick and dirty up to date.
    Rear rotors did not fit on the axle all the way. Took a sanding drum to the insides in hope of cleaning out any burrs or snags.
    Didn't work.
    I did manage to torque them on, but not far enough to clear the holes on the axle for the safety pin.
    Rented Rotor puller, turn, turn, whack, turn, turn, whack. popped right off.
    Contact MooreParts and arrange a return/exchange.
    They received the rotors and they slid right on to a set of 67 axles in their shop. I asked for a new pair anyway. They contacted EMPI rep. locally who looked at the rotors and noticed I had used a hammer in an attempt to get them off the axles (pre rotor puller) and refused to take them back as they could never sell them again. (IF THEY DONT FIT... THEY SHOULDN'T TRY TO RESELL THEM ANYWAY!!!)
    Mooreparts suggested I try cleaning the axle splines with some brake cleaner and scrubby stuff/wire brush.
    Got rotors home, cleaned axle splines as directed. Rotors still don't slide on.

Here is the rotor, right side out, as far as it will slide.

Here is rotor, inside out, as far as it will slide.

Notice the vast difference between the 2 pictures. Which leads me to think the outer splines on the rotors are jacked up, since things appear to stop when the axle reaches this point on the rotor. I guess I need to invest in a very small file to get between the splines.

Am I crazy or just screwed? Or both?
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

I think you're screwed...but let's see if we can't get them to work. Worst case...sell them to someone else . Try this as a pain-in-the-ass method to see where they might be binding: get eye level with the hub and shine the brightest light you have behind the brake with the brake in the correct position on the axle. What I want to see is if you see any light at all shining through on the splines, and where it's shining through. If you can see any, then you should be able to make out where it's binding - it might only be one or two splines that are screwed up.
    Next question: did you try both brakes on the same axle? Did they both bind at the same point on either axle? If they bound on both axles at the same point, then the issue is definately with the brakes themselves. But again, you'll need to see where it's binding to make a determination on how to proceed. If the light trick doesn't work, go buy some Dykem and paint the axles and slide the brakes on. It'll show where it's most tight by scraping the Dykem off the splines. You could probably also use a couple of shots of spray paint, too, just don't get the coating too thick. Or even a Sharpie...but that would take a while to paint everything!

It could be that your splines have been bruised by a previous owner and their attempts to remove/replace brake hubs. Where the shaft has been hit with a hammer or compressed with a puller the shaft can swell, only by a few thou but that will be enough. Solutions: careful filing once you find the high spots as described by letterman, take the shafts to a machine shop & have them dress the splines, or buy new axles. So I'd start with the filing first cause if it is successful problem solved, if you screw it up you have to buy new axles so the same cost as option 2 & 3 above!!

good luck

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"