Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657

Thread: British Eureka....On the road

They are Mark
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

2019 and after 10 years of use & abuse the Eureka's driver's seat has finally cracked under constant use. Or is it over eating at Christmas.

Time to get the replacement seats I have refurbished.

Stripped of its clothing & padding I have a frame

It is suffering in a couple of places from tin worm

A couple of patched pieces and the worst is good again

Next on the list is the mounting points. I cut out the holes left where the original Rivnuts seized the bolts & snapped off inside the tubes.

So I made some captive nuts to weld back into place.

The first one tacked into place ready for full welding

To ensure the first & 2nd nuts were parallel to the seat frame I first leveled the frame

And the aligned the 2nd nut to the first one with the spirit level.

And to ensure they were all evenly spaced & parallel to each other I made a jig. I will eventually have to do the passengers seat as well.

Now I just need to get the foam, cut & shape it, get the leatherette out, along with the sewing machine & get creative.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Some nice work, but I think I would have said bugger it and bought these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-MX5-...JLqJ:rk:6:pf:0

Dirk

Dirk,

Yes it would be easier but where is the fun in that??

I like the process of fixing & modifying things along with testing my skills or acquiring new ones.

When I tell people I built it my self it really means everything.

Bushboy

Time & constant use has resulted in the Eureka's Achilles Heel bringing a stop to my driving pleasure. The Clutch Slave Cylinder has failed, again. Water had got past the boot and corroded the cylinder wall so much that the rough surface tore the piston seal.

I could not remember which vehicle I got the slave cylinder off so I decided to pull the whole assembly off & try again. It is a good thing because if the cylinder seal did not fail then the linkage would have very soon

And the pivot points were also showing a lot of wear.

Poverty is the mother of improvisation & re-purposing. AS my Daughters latest Performing adventure has robbed the Eureka Fund again, it was time to start Wombling and come up with a cheap alternative.

I have had the £80 pull type slave cylinder before & it only lasted about 18 months. My set up may not have been the best but fail it did. I like the concept so thought I'd try to make my own. I happened to have 2 x 25mm double acting stainless steel air cylinders. If they hold air, then surly they will hold brake fluid.

I have modified the push type bracket I had taken off but not to the extent that it could not still be used for a push type cylinder again.

The end was cut off the cylinder & a support made that bolts onto the existing bracket. A new connecting rod was made with a rose joint to add a bit of compliance into the system.
    The weak point now are the pipe joints. I only had a selection of push fittings. They hold the pressure of operating the clutch, however, in the resting state they relax to a point where, after about 30 seconds of no pressure, the next peddle operation has no feel to it. I have now ordered a Banjo fitting for the 1/8th BSP hole. Should be here tomorrow and a quick fitment. Then I can take it for a test run.

Bushboy

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to using the Nova as a 'daily driver' - you are the guv'nor.

Time to admit defeat.

The air seal lasted approx. 1 week before going soft and passing the fluid. Apparently you cant, and have not been able to for nearly 20 years!!!!!, buy clutch cylinder repair kits. I had intended to use the piston seal from one of these in place of the "O" ring piston seal. I measured up and ordered a hydraulic seal from what I thought was a UK supplier only to find it was coming from France. My miss understanding of how they measure the seal meant it was too big round. Rather than spend good money after bad I rummaged around my bits box & found a piston seal that fit & may do the trick.

The "new" piston seal fits & works as intended but the system is loosing travel while in rest position. This means that I am having to pump the peddle after cruising to get the feel back. It is not air in the system and to the best I can do with the space the clutch lever free travel is not too excessive.

So I have decided to wait until redundancy money hits the bank & buy the Wilwood Pull type cylinder.
    I have had one before and while it worked initially very well, miss alignment killed it. Now that I have the basis of a suitable mounting plate I will be making sure it is aligned correctly.

Bushboy

I may have a Wilwood slave somewhere, Bushboy. Let me look this weekend. If I have it you can have it for the cost of shipping. In reference to the air cylinder... that would have worked if you had used jack oil instead of brake fluid. The brake fluid ate the internal seal.. jack oil won't do that. We (or I) have used air cylinders on the canopy systems for years.

Rick

G'day Rick,

Let me know if you find it. I may have found one locally but if that turns out as a dead end, and you have found yours, I'll pay postage plus some.

Many thanks

Bushboy