Thread: Front VW drums

Front VW drums

I've got front VW drums which i need to get off. All the books say pry off the dust cap.......it's been a long day, im tired and after 30 mins of whacking twisting etc still nout.

Help a brother out and tell me how to get them off so i can get to the brakes lease
    Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Front VW drums

Don't forget there should be a circlip holding the speedo cable through the front nearside dustcap. That might be holding things up. Otherwise I thought they were tapped into place and a few carefully chosen taps around the flange with a screwdriver should loosen them off...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Laurens right - so assuming you've removed said circlip, just tap the swelling on the cap where it meets the hub from each side with a blunt screwdriver/chisel until you free it up - it WILL come off eventually!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Brains over brawn ....... using the end of a hook spanner wedged against the back of the lip, bending the handle back (so opening the grip), levering the handle against the brake drum and Whacking it with hammer.

Hook spanner looks like this, ill post the pic of me using it when i can upload, as my description is naff.

Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Cool - looks like just the ticket for adjusting my SPAX coil-overs

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!