Thread: Rolling Pictures

Rolling Pictures

Well I have been driving the reek to work for a while now and have had a frushtrating time with the rearview camera.

The strangest thing is that at night the picture is stable, even with bright lights glaring at the camera. But during the day, in the bright sunlight we are enjoying at the moment, the picture rolls constantly. It gets so annoying that I usually turn it off. Down side is that until you turn it off you don't realise just how much you use it. I have checked the connections and all appears to be OK.

Any one got any ideas on what it may be & how to cure it?

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Re: Rolling Pictures

What about voltage drop, but I would have though with you using lights at night it would be worse.

Mine turns off when I use brakes or indicator, not a constant fault only when it feels like it. I will have to rearrange the under dash electric when the dash finally comes off, i have a feeling it will be a BB type of job.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Jimcub's sounds like the normal poor earth, but picture rolling sounds like a more serious problem - maybe a Lauren solution?
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Yes that's what I thought Alex. Like buy a new camera job. This evening driving home and going from light to dusk the picture decided to stop rolling. I'm thinking a poor connection as when I stop in traffic 6 out of ten times the pic stops rolling.

bushboy

Your probably right there Alex but not had time to look, will stay like that until after the MOT.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Hmm - not sure what's going on there. As Alex says, it could be down to supply voltage, but that would be more significant at night, which is the opposite effect to what you are experiencing. I have seen this problem before when using non-screened or poorly screened cable between the camera and the monitor. I can see that the camera cable on my set-up is screened all the way, using mini-DIN connectors at one end and a fully-screened camera housing.

These single-board CCD cameras work on a regulated 12V supply which is normally sourced at the monitor end - is this how yours is configured? The same lead also has the 1V pk-pk video output, so any outside interference (like from the ignition system or alternator) might be significant.

I would try local screening before condemning the camera, you might replace it only to find the same problem.

Does the picture roll with the monitor on but no engine running?

Good luck with your investigations Martin. I must admit I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my telecam - I can see sod-all with my suction-cup mirror...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Lauren
    The camera is connected to the monitor via a cable that has two plugs on it, power supply & video feed I do not know if the cable is shielded. The camera is mounted in the rear louver via a glassed in s/s bracket. Wrapped in foam held on with duct tape (my bogit attempt at heat shielding. The cable then goes through the bulk head along the tunnel inside the car & the excess is coiled around inside the dash & held in place with a twist tie.
    The camera and cable are very remote from the Alt but reasonably close to the dissy. Next time it rolls like mad I'll cut the engine & see if that helps.

Tonight I enjoyed flicker free driving, but then I left work at 19:00 so no bright sunshine.

Thanks for the suggestions

bushboy