Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: inspections

  1. #1


    I just passed my CHP inspection a couple of days ago. They werent sure as to what model to register the vehicle. So I was able to register it as an amphibian AP model. Hopefully this doesnt add any more hoops to jump through. But now I am off to the referee (BAR), does anybody know what year DMV would register the Sterlings Bodystyle to or is there really not a specific year used for registration. If there is not a year that they can use they have to go with 1960. any help would be appreciated.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Concord, Ca

    Re: inspections

    I wonder if registering it as amphibious (sp) means the coast guard will want to inspect it as well?

    CCC Sterling # 416

  3. #3

    Re: inspections

    California's DMV laws are so convoluted, you should have simply left it as a special construction vehicle. Once you add "amphibious" to the registration, then probably yes, Nic's right, it'll need to pass Coast Guard inspection as well. Which means, among other things, you'll need to add approved manouvering lights, carry an anchor, carry life vests and some sort of signalling apparatus. Even the old Amphicars had to have those on board, technically speaking. Are you sure you want to deal with all that, Rob?

  4. #4

    Re: inspections

    i say go for it.
    they life vest and things just add to it

  5. #5

    Re: inspections

    Where would you put the life boat, may be underneath as a floatation aid.
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

  6. #6

    Re: inspections

    The whole car is reinforced/filled with a low density foam. I don't have any idea how many hundreds of cans I used. But hey when I finish sealing the cockpit and put the air system in I might not want too float anymore. HA HA!!! Just kidding?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts