Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOT/Inspection without windscreen

Re: MOT/Inspection without windscreen

but surely if no screen is needed for an mot ? then the people with cracked screens could take them out for the mot and then put em back after ? or even (god forbid ) claim for a new screen on their policy when its insured with screen cover added ?? free screens for all ? ..........or am i missing something ? not that i would encourage such behaviour

You probably could (important to have your cars value set high enough, or they'll write it off rather than replace the screen ) but getting a screen out isn't as simple as it sounds and may result in it disintegrating.

I guess that was a question Jim, (but your '?' has gone missing yet again....) do they make suction side mirrors? If they do and they're sold for road use then they have to pass them, (like CE marked lights) but somehow I think I'd rather drill the holes (or possibly bond with epoxy) and not worry about them dropping off - I'm sure if the tester nudged one and it detatched it would be a fail!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

If the canopy is removed completely then temporary mirrors could be fixed to the hinge brackets...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by suicidesam
    but surely if no screen is needed for an mot ? then the people with cracked screens could take them out for the mot and then put em back after ? or even (god forbid ) claim for a new screen on their policy when its insured with screen cover added ?? free screens for all ? ..........or am i missing something ? not that i would encourage such behaviour
    But isnt that the point of screen cover anyway? If your screen is cracked, then make a claim. I've done it on 3 cars so far. Unless you're suggesting summat different
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

The idea from the insurers point of view is you claim if your screen gets cracked not that you take out the insurance on a car with an already cracked screen in order to get it replaced..... otherwise you'd be taking out insurance after you'd had a crash not before....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Spoke to Si at Chelmsford gsf today, he's hopefully is going to MOT the car.
    He was unsure about the windscreen so rang around a few of the places that MOT the buggys around here.

Final word from them was...........as long as there are no windscreen wipers or washer bottle attached/fitted, they would have no issues with it being on the road/mot'd without a windscreen.

So thats what I'm gonna do.
    I may check with the DVLA office when I get round to booking the inspection but it's not the windscreen their inspecting so should be bothered bout it.
    Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7