Thread: Minor rant... fuel fittings/bungs

Minor rant... fuel fittings/bungs

I remember not too long ago that you could purchase just about anywhere a "regular" banjo fitting for a Weber carburetor that you could stick a rubber fuel line to, clamp it in place and be on your way. Now, all I see are AN fittings. The current setup that I'm trying to make run is using AN stuff from the carbs to the fuel distributor (a T fitting with a pressure dial and gauge). The T inlet is also AN... so I'll need to purchase a fitting for that and a piece of hose just to test run the engine. This sucks - why do I need to spend that kind of money for a couple $5 parts? To me, AN fittings and stainless braided hoses look great, but they are really a pain in the butt - inflexible, large, and for their size really take up a whole lotta room where a simple rubber hose would suffice.

Anyone want to weigh in on the pros of AN fittings versus an old fashioned screw clamp and rubber hose (other than the obvious - abrasive resistance and looks).

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Minor rant... fuel fittings/bungs

I couldn't agree more - especially if you are not running high pressure EFI. A standard mechanical fuel pump puts out 6-8 psi maximum, and that would need a pressure regulator if it was that high all the time (for mech pumps its just max rpm). My electric pump (old skool Mini unit) pushes through at 6 psi, and I need a pressure regulator before my Webers are happy. Ordinary fuel hose and worm-drive clips are more than adequate at this pressure.

Its only when you start to deal with EFI pumps running at about 30 psi that you might want something more secure.

I recall Mick used a novel gravity feed fuel delivery system to test his engine

As long as the fuel supply is higher than the carb you can let nature do the rest

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Micks lawn mower petrol can on a bracket job you mean.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

I do indeed

...Although obviously De Havilland could lay claim to the gravity feed idea... or was it Short Bros? Or Bristol Aircraft?

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut
    I do indeed

...Although obviously De Havilland could lay claim to the gravity feed idea... or was it Short Bros? Or Bristol Aircraft?

Lauren
    Although in my case the gravity feed was definitely a Suffolk Colt design.
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut
    I do indeed

Lauren

Worked very well for on and off a trailor driving
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova
    Ah - I was going to say Suffolk Punch, but then I remembered I used a Punch fuel tank to run my Maxi over the off-road course at Weavers Down and it was a different shape to yours!

...And moving swiftly back on-topic, I've got a remote oil filter on the Green Machine because the original filter location clashed with a critical chassis upright. The engine oil filter runs under pressure, which means so does my remote filter, and the hoses that connect to it. I used a Mocal sandwich plate with threaded unions but specified spigot ends so I could use push-on hose and worm drive clips throughout. On a cold morning this system is running at 75 psi! I have never had any problems with oil leakage from the hose clips.

Lauren

Any one who knows my car will know I seem to have shares in AN plumbing.com as everything is stainless braided and AN fittings, oil lines, fuel, cooler, filter, etc it may be OTT but at least I don't have to worry about leaks, they are easy to remove and with a bit of practice, easy to assemble, and reassemble. I know they are pricey but to me they do say "Proper job".
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl