Thread: Did we cover this before? Titles...

Did we cover this before? Titles...

Say, for instance, I wanted to bid on a car there in the UK (the silver Avante comes to mind...). Other than the hassle of actually shipping it, is there such as thing as a "title" that comes with the car. Here in the states, a vehicle has a paper trail - a title - that shows basically who owns it and where, and can be back-traced to original owners if need be. Anyone here imported a vehicle into the States and dealt with the red tape?

Re: Did we cover this before? Titles...

Rick, you would get a V5c that is basically the same as your title document. It tells you the owner of the vehicle and what the vehicle actually is (most of the time anyway). For your purposes I would suggest that whatever you do you make sure that the V5c has the correct details on it such as correct chassis number, engine number, make and model and engine size.
    When you get the V5c it will have the current owners name and address on it, the last time it was sold or transferred and the previous owners name and address on it, but further back than that all you get is the number of previous owners the vehicle has had.
    Once you are the registered owner I do believe that you can pay a small fee to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency) and get whatever other information they have on the vehicle but if it is an old car they don't have much info before about 1996.

Rick, if you follow the link from our useful links section here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1433 you should be able to feed in a registration number (often visible in the ebay pictures if not given in the text) and get some idea whether the car is legit......
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Hi letterman7

You won't have a problem with a car on a age related plate to vin number.

You will have a problem If you buy a 'Q' plate because DVLA UK did use the donors chassis vin number losing years. People buying Novas in the EU can't get them on the road by their rules. The DVLA then the Minstory of Transport did remove Vin numbers then alocated a plate to be rivited under the bonet. And a few tax free Novas in some cases. I have posted this before.

Ben