Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Panic Yet. Clarification of DVLA inspection.

Don't Panic Yet. Clarification of DVLA inspection.

Hi all,

Just thought I should clarify the position regarding 'Purple Passions' DVLA inspection.
    To the best of my knowledge (after having spoken at some length to the inspector) this has only arisen through discrepancy's in the paperwork.
    Inspector was not interested in any mods, conversions etc' just the identity of the vehicle !!

This is how he explained it to me;

3 years ago the new style v5's were introduced, at the same time all the computers from Police, Excise, VOSA, Insurance and of course the DVLA were linked together creating one huge database allowing online tax renewal, automatic speed ticketing etc'

The Purple Passion is currently insured with Adrian Flux. they insist on listing my car as a 'Nova Sport Coupe'
    The v5 only shows my car as a Volkswagen.
    The police database shows my car as a VW Beetle.

At some point during travelling to last seasons shows ( presumably in convoy with Ben/Harrys car, given that we were both flagged within weeks of each other) the police have run a check on the registration to find out what the car is. Returning the answer that it is a VW Beetle and them not being able to recognise it as such, they have flagged it up on there computer as 'to be queried'. This goes through to the DVLA in Swansea who are obliged to follow up the query.

Finding the different descriptions on the databases they then write telling you that the car must be inspected.

They check the registration, engine number, and chassis number and if satisfied are quite prepared to change the V5 description accordingly. However, any descrepancy and they will not except the vehicle is genuine. They are not interested in any chassis plates, riveted or otherwise, only the original chassis number stamped in the tunnel. They insist on seeing this even if it means cutting, or removing parts in order to gain access. They know exactly what they are looking for. The font, size, positioning and the star symbols at each end of the number. If all is not correct the inspection is failed and the car must then go onto a 'Q' Plate, be issued with a new VIN and of course pay road tax.

In my case the VIN number on the tunnel is damaged so therefore it failed. If looked at closely with a magnifying glass the number can be made out and is indeed correct for the vehicle. They have now put the onus on me to prove the chassis is what I say it is !!!

In a nutshell, if your chassis number is intact and correct, your cars description on the DVLA, Police and insurance database all match, you have nothing to worry about. If not you will be called for inspection sooner or later when the discrepancy is flagged up as it's not just the police but the number plate recognision cameras that will get you.

Re: Don't Panic Yet. Clarification of DVLA inspection.

Phew! Thanks for that Mike - hopefully getting the DVLA to change my documents a few years back WAS the right move after all!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Nice one Alex

Wish I had checked it all 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I think there may be some members whose numbers and descriptions don't match, I hope they don't make the rash decision to send there V5's off for modification, as any change submitted other than engine number, colour or change of address will automatically trigger an inspection.

I believe there was a six month amnesty when the new v5's were issued so as they could be returned with any correction to the details amended. Typically I missed the boat

Look forward to seeing you and Liz soon.

Mike.

Mike,
    That's good news indeed. I'll just keep going until I'm asked to front up. My V5 sounds similar to yours, make Volkswagen and all the rest blank other than body type that says Saloon.

So how are you going with your proof of identity?

Martin
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Hiya bushboy

google (DVLA INF 26) then print it off.

Mike is spot on.

Ben

Mikes problem is different though, its because the DVLA do not believe the vehicle is the one registered, as they can't read the chassis number properly.
    So long as the vehicle can be proven to be the vehicle it says it is, i.e. correct VIN, correct reg, correct engine number, then the DVLA will be happy. So whenever we get the call from the DVLA, so long as we can show those three items, there shouldnt be a problem.
    I checked my Chassis number yesterday, and luckily its all ok, all the stars and everything can just about be read. I was thinking of how to make it a bit easier to read, like painting around it white, and then overpaint in black, rub most of the black away leaving the black in the stamped number only.
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

Might be safest to leave well alone, if you can more or less read it I wouldn't play with it at all.....
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Hi Mike - thanks for clarifying the situation regarding the Purple Passion. It sounds like in this instance DVLA were only interested in proving the identity of your donor chassis. Nevertheless, I am concerned that they are still refusing to accept a chassis with a scuffed identity code is legitimate. It sounds unnecessarily over-zealous to me. Unless DVLA are aware of another VW chassis running around with the same identity as yours, why this level of scrutiny?

I sincerely hope that you can get your V5 back without any further inspection/testing, but I can't help thinking that there is more to this than DVLA are saying - which could have far reaching implications for those of us fortunate enough to have got our cars on the road...

I look forward to seeing you and Elaine (and the Purple Passion) again soon!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Touching the VIN stamping in any way would constitute an offence BUT I have myself "cleaned up" my VW VIN with a Dremal. very carefully and painted over it in white, no problems so far, did the same with a Rover 4
    216 which has it-s VIN in the front of the boot opening (stupid idea, it rusts) and did the same.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Thanks for the explanation Elaine,

That seems similar to what I have just been told.

Despite no longer being a Nova owner I received a letter this week from the Brighton DVLA office yesterday requesting that I take the Nova for a vehicle inspection.

I phoned them and spoke to them to advise I had sold the vehicle and asked what the inspection related to. I was advised this is a routine inspection requested due to changes made to the vehicle. I was told it most likely arises from the car being looked up on the vehicle database by a curious police officer, and then querying that it didn't look like a beetle ! I haven't made any changes to the log book for a long time (probably last one was engine change).

The lady I spoke to at Brighton said it isn't anything to worry about, and that they should just need to verify the chassis number (on the centre tunnel).

I have returned the slip on the letter to DVLA Brighton with a copy of the signed log book (I sent the original off on the Saturday I sold the car). They advised it can take a few weeks for change of keeper to be recorded at Swansea, so no doubt the new owner will get a request from their local office when it works through the system - I have forewarned them.

The lady I spoke to was very pleasant and advised they often get little clue from Swansea as to why they need to inspect. I tdoes seem to bea bit of a coincidence though that a few of us have now had these letters
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car