Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advising DVLA of engine changes

Re: Advising DVLA of engine changes

Damn you Alex!! I hadnt thought of that one LOL!
    Maybe if I wrote the letter for them in advance, they could then just sign it, and I could print it off on one of their headed letter sheets. A big X would do, which is quite apt considering the number of big X's being written today!!

Thinking laterally here, would there be any reason why I couldn't use a letter heading of one of my companies? And get one of the other partners to sign it? Theres a guy on a VW forum who does Subaru conversions, he's offering his services to anyone who sends him a couple of pics and the engine details, and he'll put together the letter
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

Thought this all only applied to those changing engines for a smaller size (for said tax reasons)? I thought if you enlarge the engine they had no problem with it?
    Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7

Quote Originally Posted by JemP
    Damn you Alex!! I hadnt thought of that one LOL!
    Maybe if I wrote the letter for them in advance, they could then just sign it, and I could print it off on one of their headed letter sheets.
    I did a similar thing when my son broke the neck off my acoustic guitar. I typed up a letter saying it was beyond economical repair and took the guitar and letter to a music shop repair guy who signed a blank headed sheet for me to reprint the letter onto. All for the price of a pint.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Although it was about 3 years ago the DVLA had no worries accepting my engine change from 4 to 6 cylinders & 1.2 to 2.5l, 4 seats to 2 and green (sorry Lauren) to black.

Do the DVLA verify the engine installer/Garage? If not just create your own Garage headed paper (Go Slow Motors perhaps) write your own letter, sign it & bob's your uncle!!

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by benherron
    Thought this all only applied to those changing engines for a smaller size (for said tax reasons)? I thought if you enlarge the engine they had no problem with it?
    I am changing it for a smaller size, although it is tax exempt!! According to DVLA this applies for all engine changes.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

I think we need to play the game here guys - you wouldn't want our nice Mr DVLA man to think we would do anything underhanded now, would you?

(hint, hint )

But I agree the system is a draconian one, I'm glad I haven't made any engine changes recently...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I had a similar problem when I upgraded my engine. I wrote in and had the same letter asking for proof. I wasn't in the UK so I asked my mum to go to the garage that rebuilt the engine with a photo of the engine stamp for them to do the letter.

Problem was that they only put the first line of the engine number (split over two lines) on the letter which my mother sent off. So now it doesn't match the engine number! Given all the DVLA changes and recent posts I'm not going to try to change it again for the time being as I don't want to cause more problems

Okay, really nothing to worry about with the engine size change. I just found a garage who wrote a letter saying that the engine number XXXX was fitted to vehicle reg XXXX XXX and that the capacity of the engine is XXXX
    On headed paper, signed and dated, sent off to DVLA - and in return? A brand new V5C

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Excellent! Nice to see a satisfactory result can be obtained by following the rules!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

On the DVLA web site it states:

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

•a receipt for the replacement engine
    •written evidence from the manufacturer
    •an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
    •written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

•an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
    Surely Club Nova coul therefore provide a report - insurance companies typically accept valuation/descriptions from owners clubs.

Just a thought for those needing this in the future,