Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advising DVLA of engine changes

Re: Advising DVLA of engine changes

Club Nova should happily be able to perform such services, so long as we were not being asked to lie/endorse untruths....Paul Fryer use to provide written valuations for insurance companies based on his knowledge of build costs.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Club Nova should happily be able to perform such services, so long as we were not being asked to lie/endorse untruths....Paul Fryer use to provide written valuations for insurance companies based on his knowledge of build costs.
    That's what I thought Alex - I remember Paul offering to support me with Nena's valuation.

Having just read this thread I do think there is a little over reaction, as I have found on various other car forums. It seems to me not unreasonable for DVLA to ask for evidence of a non visible change (as opposed to colour which is pretty obvious!). I have seen evidence being accepted on other forums including:

Receipts from breakers for replacement engines
    Log books of scrapped cars which have donated them, or even reference to the scrapped vehicle
    Owners club reports
    Independent garage reports
    Engine receipts
    and even self build manuals and photos

A fair bit to work with there I think !

As my engine was an ebay sale, would the sales receipt be enough for them. As without a capacity test there is no other way to tell the cc, if only VW stamped a number on the barrels but then they can be rebored or other mods to make that useless.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

IF that was a question, I would doubt an Ebay receipt would do UNLESS it had the full engine number on it - then it would become the sellers problem to prove provenance if they wanted to follow it up.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Jim , the receipt from ebay won't do. I went through this in some detail with the DVLA. The receipt should be from the garage who fitted the engine - I explained that I fitted the engine! They seemed to be amazed that anyone can do a DIY engine change!
    Anyway, the best route is to take the car to a garage, if you have a regular mechanic then use them. All they need to do is to write out a letter saying they can confirm the engine number xxxxxxx is fitted to car reg XXXXXXX
    They are only really interested in road tax band dodgers, so with a historic Vehicle it is a formality. i just sent a covering letter with5 the letter from the garage and within a few days, all sorted.
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

I think I'm going to cry... my car has been off the road for 20 years or so...(!) since the original engine died, I fitted a type four engine bought second hand, which 'aledgedly' had been rebuilt from 1700 to 2000 by Haslock. I have no proof of this, so no idea what the engine size actually is. I'm sure dvla must know the 'declared' size by its engine number.

Prior to going to mot, found that the chassis had rotted at the front, do has now been a total strip and rebuild...

I'm guessing to stand any chancw of getting the document changed I will have to get my mechanic to write a letter... but what do I do about the capacity? I had though to say it was the original 1700, but don't know whats correct!

If I have to strip this down and buy a new base 2000 type four, to fit all the refurbished bits and items sourced from the states, then I'm definatly going to cry!

(tried to upload a file of a pic of the engine, but din't seem to work?!?)

Martin, if your car is registered as a historic vehicle, i.e. before Jan 1973, then DVLA don't need any proof of engine fitting detals and will just change it. The regulations were changed afte some serious lobbying by Danny hopkins at Practical Classics magazine, and many others.
    If it is registered after 1973, fear not, let me know and i'll PM you what to do

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Thanks for that! not sure the exact date... its an old 'J' reg? (I need to find my reg doc!)
    (Do you mean before 73...)
    I had read the bits in practiacl classics, but never saw the outcome!

Yes before 73 so if yours is a J reg then that would be around 71 so you would be ok, DVLA may still ask for proof but you just have to tell them they need to read their own regulations, not all the DVLA personel are clued up on it, or weren't just a couple of months ago.

not all the DVLA personel are clued up on it

Understatement of the year!! I'm not sure what they're clued up on really, not a great deal