Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Forget Safety

Re: Don't Forget Safety

A lad last year at college managed to put a welding rod completely through the middle of his hand, you could see through the hole
    The tool I hate the most is wire wheels, the bristles comes off and if you aint wearing goggles, guess where one is going!, I always manage to hit myself between the eyes, luckly never in the eye.

Reminds me of a story my old man used to tell me. He used to work in a machine shop, designign/tooling various bits of brass plumbing mostly, but other custom orders would come in. One particular day we was welding something together, and felt his foot get bloody hot. He looked down, and hos workboots were intact, no holes or anything. He was wearing safty gear, but a bit of weld/solder had managed to get down inside his boot. When he went to take off the boot and check out what had happened to his foot, he found that his nylon sock was completely gone, and his food was red raw from the 'mild' burn.

I too have scars on my feet where welding blobs have gone through trainers, must be some kind of initiation. so many bangs, lost nails, cuts and bruises I lost count decades ago, dropped a ATV rear axle on my left big toe a year or so ago and despite steel toe caps lost the nail and despite wearing gloves most of the time and washing several times a day I still loose skin from my finger tips because of the oil and grease, kinda gets thick dead patches and peels off like a dry blister, takes weeks to go away.
    Working in a garage is no fairy tail for people who like working on vehicles, it's a hard living and the biggest danger is company bosses who want the jobs done but will not pay out for the right equipment and tools, the number of times I have had to make up something or bodge another tool is amazing. Who'd be a mechanic eh?
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Birds Car
    Impact driver is hit with a big hammer,
    I bought my Impact Driver back in the early 70's when I owned a BSA C15 and needed something that could do up the crankcase cover screws to make it oil-tight and then get them undone again.

Around the same time my brother in-law was rebuilding a Mini Cooper (real one) and couldn't get the rusted self tappers out that held the headlights in. "No problem" says I "watch this" I gave the driver a big clout with a 2lb hammer and the Impact driver, screw, bits of headlamp surround and rusty wing disappeared into the front wheel well I learnt about fibre-glassing and resin filler from that.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

We used Oxy Actelene burners to get 1"+ nuts off that were corroded , i once did it in a dark corner and then knelt down onto a red hot nut.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Quote Originally Posted by jimcub
    We used Oxy Actelene burners to get 1"+ nuts off that were corroded , i once did it in a dark corner and then knelt down onto a red hot nut.
    just goes to show... no one likes a knee on the nuts.

In high school I learned to Oxy-Ace weld. Many times did I take the welding rod and accidentally stick it to my bare forearm.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

I'm not fond of wire wheels either.

Many moons ago I was doing a lot of cleaning of parts with a bench mounted wirewheel. After loosing a layer of skin off a knuckel I put gloves on, I always wear goggles, thats why I can still see. I also had a pair of overall on. During the cleaning process I had to squatt down a lot to check fit the parts were now fitting inside the housings. I had quite a few to do & it took me over 1 hour to finish. I then had to fit the parts so more squatting down & "duck Waddling" around to get tools just out of reach. All the while I kept having my inside led pinched just above the knee buy the loose fitting overalls. Job done and time for dinner, went to pull the overalls off & found that the pinching was actually strands from the wire wheel that were being slowly worked into my leg by all the squatting & Duck waddling, and had effectivly stiched the overalls onto my leg. There was no blood & I had to grip them with pliers to pull them out of my leg. I was surprised how much effort was required & how far the skin pulled out before the strand let go. There was no blood. A few years later another one of these that had worked it's way compleatly into my leg resurfaced & was removed under local anesthetic. I think I am still carrying another in my leg.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

WOW, I have never heard of THAT happening before. I've been stabbed by flying wirewheel wires, but not stitched up.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Yup wire wheels are absolutely lethal, I regularly take layers off my knuckle and fingers when using them, I had one catch my jeans before and the drill went straight up my leg, only scratched away my skin though, not too much damage

I think one of the classic no safety things was the large tank of acid in the back yard of Trojan Engineering, Croydon, (Lambretta UK, ISO & McLaren F3 G12) just a lid to keep the rain out, where we dunked alloy parts to clean them. horrors!!
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl