Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The MOT ?

The MOT ?

HI All
    Sarah went for her MOT today ....... I checked everything twice or three times and it was all good
    When I went to the MOT station it was not all good ....
    She failed .... on the welding ...... OK so I did not check / do it correctly
    She failed .... on the indicators which did not work when the lights were on (dipped)
    She failed .... on the front brakes .... which were binding (solid as it happens)
    She failed .... on the steering ..... the clamping bolt on the column was lose ?
    She failed .... on a wheel bearing ... it was well knackered I did not notice it before today?
    She failed .... on a missing rear reflector I did not know about them.
    She failed .... on the Fog lights ... No indication inside the car that they were on?
    She failed …. On the hand brake ...... it did not work even after I adjusted it yesterday.
    I got 10 days to sort it all .......... out the welding is the only problem the rest .... easy
    The
    RABS

Re: The MOT ?

Rab

Tough luck, although to be honest some of it must be down to luck on the day because my indicators don't work without the ignition on either , but my MoT man never tested that bit.

Hope you get it sorted in time for Newark.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

No it was with his lights on, they shouldn't work with the ignition off (except the hazards....) Still, I've seen worse lists!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Thanks guys
    I had to order the bearings and the brake pads don't get them till Tuesday
    When I got the welding equipment out of the shed ..... I found I was out of gas it was 4:40pm. on Sat afternoon and BOC were closed …….. till Tues.
    I fixed the other problems which were easy just a change of switch and a small re-wire. the head light required re-fixing to give it more adjustability. I could not reproduce the fault with the head lights and the indicators so have not been able to repair it I will keep looking.
    Did anyone know that you need to have a reflector …… sorry, two reflectors equally spaced apart on the rear of your car, Not a problem if you have a ‘light pod’ set up from a donor car, BUT! If like mine it has individual lamps (LED’s in my case) you need REFLECTORS …. Where do you find out info like that. The test centre had it on their computer I don’t know if it was available on the net somewhere ….DO YOU?
    I will get the rest of the ‘under seal’ off today and go over the area with a wire brush so when I get the gas tomorrow I can get right to the welding ……. should not take more than an hour or two, he said full of confidence only if it is not raining ……… don’t want to go it inside the garage obviously, then the bearings and pads and a re-test.
    I still have a problem with the front being to low during the test it was getting lower and lower till the point it was scrapping the road … and it was a good road quite flat really, but it was ok on the way home it did not hit the lowered curb or driveway into the garage block, which was strange, I will have to have a good look at it again when the other stuff is sorted.

This is quite a useful site, and it mentions the reflectors

http://www.ukmot.com/mot_check.asp
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

Thanks JemP
    I will go look at it
    Rabs

Well I got everything sorted .... did the welding, fixed the wheel bearings and the back brakes and decided to change the front brakes as well at the same time. That was the start of the problems I ordered brakes for the VW donor car which was 1969? I got 4 sets of shoes for drum brakes, I should have known and checked twice, the front is from a 1972 which has disc brakes, OK so its back to the shop and change the shoes for pads, To be sure I decided to take one set off the car and take it to the shop give it to the guy and say “two sets of these please” that way I get the correct replacements easy! NO ……… when attempting to remove the caliper to get the pads out I managed to snap off both fixing bolts now I cannot get the damn thing off ……… I feel a trip to the shop for a new set of everything is required.
    Not going to get a MOT re-test tomorrow ….. but if I don’t have to go into the office next week I should get it replaced and it should be ready for Newark in two weeks depending on when I can get new bits.
    I found the fault with the Indicators …….. it was not when the dipped lights were on, that works OK …. It is when the rear fog lamps are on ……….. that’s when they stop. Don’t know why as yet But I will sort it tomorrow when I get back from ordering the bits I need

Sara goes in for her re-test tomorrow after extensive work, Every time I touched something I broke it and had to get new bits, which had to be taken back as they did not fit, the wheel bearings were too small to fit my wheels, the brakes were disc and the book states drum’s so when I ordered replacements I got ‘shoes’ not ‘pads’ when removing the calipers I snapped off the retaining bolt and could not get the broken bit out of the casting. Ordered a new set! When it arrived it was not complete I ad bits missing when I got in touch with the supplier they said that they did not send me the KIT, I hope they remember that when its Bill time ? the spindle which the speedometer cable passes through, was incorrectly manufactured, there was a very small hole through the casting, way too small for the 8mm speedometer cable, Black and Decker to the rescue and it’s OK now. I found the fault with the indicators and the head lamps there was NO FAULT it was the electronic relay and the battery, one needs 12 Volts and the other was only putting out 8 & ˝ volts when the lights were on, I also found a wiring fault, a cable had come loose from a crimp and was shorting out when the dipped lamp was switched on but not every time. Also the total power required to run the lamps with a weak battery is a lot more than when it’s full. The fuse kept going which I thought was another short and was chasing round and round for 3 days trying to find a non-existent fault convinced it was a short and or an earth problem
    SO the MOT is tomorrow 15:00 Hr I am confident and will be very un happy should it fail after the week of disasters which I have had to overcome from no gas for welding to broken bolts and bits missing
    Work have been good and not called me in so there is one good bit!

She passed ....... no problem
    We are going to the car show on Sat,
    See you all there I hope

Excellent, good work!!