Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobberuk is finally on Euro - Nova

Re: Bobberuk is finally on Euro - Nova

Quote Originally Posted by benherron
    Buttons are very cool... reminds me of the Koenigsegg arrangement.
    The designer of that dash must have been frightened by an old style 'dial' telephone as a baby

PS. Bob - any plans for you to attend the Newark KitCar show?

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

It's only in my memory bank coz I love the rally-style high gearstick. I'd love to try and replicate that in mine.
    Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7

Actually the high gear shift thing reminds me of a question I wanted to ask; has anyone here fitted one of those Hurst Shifters from Machine 7 ? Allegedly they improve the gearchange feel enormously (and mine REALLY needs improvement), but experience based opinions would be most welcome.

Having seen the pictures now, the car does indeed look great - much moved on from the You Tube videos and I do like the ascentrically placed dash pod. Any plans to include a rear view camera ?

Steve

If you want a really solid, smooth gear shift go for the Skoda rear engine one, Fully self supporting and sliding on two bushes it just bolts into the top of the tunnel, just need to flatten the VW rod to the gearbox and drill it M8 to couple it to the unit. You just need to find an old 1300 or Rapide Skoda. (also complete double wishbone and disc set up with same PDI as VW four stud is a bolt on item if one want to go IFS with R&P.)

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Vasco Da Gamer-
    i've just brought one of the trigger shifters, wont have a clue how good/bad it is until the car is on the road, but after talking to a mate about the stock gearstick, he suggested the more expensive csp units, but they're a little expensive for my liking so I read up about the empi hurst shifter, pretty good response.

I managed to buy one for £20 off fleabay while sitting in a traffic jam on the M1 over easter, was well chuffed with myself / iphone at the time. Still haven't seen it yet tbh, but the old man has had a play around with it and cant find any fault.
    Have a butchers through the vzi forum, they're are hundreds of threads about the different shifters and how good/bad they are.
    Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7

Skoda - blimey - really ? I have not heard of that one. I will investigate - thanks.

I suspect IFS will go the same way as the Vitesse rear suspension (with welded half shafts instead of donuts) which has been waiting for me to paint up and put on the Spartan for the last five years......

Good point about VZI Ben, I should have thought of that. It was the trigger one I was thinking of myself - the big T Shifter thing might obscure the camera screen when it goes in so the ball and trigger was my preference.

Steve

Hi Vasco & Ben.
    I have the same shifter fitted in my car together with the "quick shift" doo-hicky that fits under the shifter and I think it works really well, very positive , cant think of any negative points at all. you can change from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th with just a backward movement of a finger or two while still having a thumb hooked around the steering wheel........ if that makes sense !!
    This is an old pic pre re-vamp.

Thanks Dave

I was indeed thinking of the one with the quick-shift doo hicky..... and the description does make sense - that's exactly what I can do on the Spartan, whilst the Nova gearchange currently feels like stirring a bucket of bolts with a particularly thick pencil.....

Said shifter looks great too...

By the way - apologies for the thread hijack Bobberuk, but it was dead useful !

Steve

Thanks for all the Positive comments Guys. It really gives me motivation to get on a finish the car as soon as possible. I'm glad you all appreaciate the work I have put into this project and make things as "right" as I can on the car.

Don't worry about the Hijacking of the thread, I was thinking maybe it was about time this got put in the "Your cars" section as that seems to be where the builds are and this was only supposed to be a welcome.

Before I stop the thread and move to the full story of my build so far. . . Gear Shifts!

I find the original is fine aslong as your selctor plate is lined up properly. Too often the shifter is removed to clean or replace other bits and then when put back, Although only 2 bolts into the tunnel, if your plate is not put back in precisely (even 2-3mm out can cause problems) you can get a clunky change if any at all. Just loosen both bolts enough to keep friction between the plate and the tunnel. I use a flat head screwdriver to just move the plate into a better postion before tightening the bolts back up.

The Hurst Style shift looks great and is better than the t-shifter which often has the reverse button set up for LHD so causes problems when fitted to a RHD as you can't just squeeze it in with your thumb.

PS. Mick . . . Apolopgies for not calling on Wednesday. I got stuck at work and then I had to head over to Winscombe to help my parents with some computer stuff. Got a bit late in the day when I actually stopped and had some time to myself. Will find 5 mins on the weekend and ring then.

i took have one of the Mr Essex has and can vouch that when set right they give an excellent positive shift, the short shit means it does stay away from the dash unlike others I have tried.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031