Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Giles's Nova

Ditto..... Come on Giles put us out of our misery!

Hi Giles,

Thanks for your PM with your details for the Database. I mentioned that I'd taken a photo of your Nova at Stones around 1990. it was the one and only time that I've driven my Nova to the show (from Scotland) .... and was presented with the 'Longest Distance Travelled' award

Anyway, it prompted me to look out the photo I took of your car SFY 36K, Stoneleigh approx 1990.jpg and then have a look through your build thread. I have to say that I'm really impressed ... you've invested a lot of time and money in your Nova.

Hopefully you'll find the time to get her back on the road again soon. Like you, I've not touched mine for several months now, but with the Spring not too far away, it should be easier to get back out to the garage and get things moving again. Best of luck!

Cheers,
    Alistair

Thank you Alistair.

I smiled and cringed when I saw that photo. 'Smiled' because it brings back great memories of Stoneleigh camping weekends with my mates and 'cringed' because it couldn't look more 80's! I think you'll find it was 1993. I was 19 back then and obviously hadn't shaken off my 80's style. I loved the nova and had to buy it! Fast forward 20 odd years (lost count) and my taste in most things has changed dramatically, hence the nova is shedding its 80's vibe and going backwards to about 1970 something. That's the plan anyway.

I'll post an update soon. (Don't hold your breath!)

Hello everyone.

This update is premature but I felt compelled to write it now having read about Jim's terrible accident on his way to Stonleigh when his bonnet flew up and smashed his windscreen. For those who haven't read about it you can on his thread. I can't imagine how scary it would be, especially on the fast lane of a motorway. Thankfully Jim was unscathed. I have no idea how he managed to bring the car safely off the road. I guess using the wingmirrors, a lot of luck and a fair degree of the force.

This happens to be about my Nova's bonnet catch, which coincidentally was one of most recent things I've done to the Nova. It took quite a long time and was a very difficult design process, what with such a list of 'must have's', but I got there in the end.

The brief was as follows:

• Hinged at the rear.
    • Invisible catch - i.e. nothing seen on the top of the bonnet.
    • Utilise but modify existing Alfa Romeo bonnet catch (claw and latch parts).
    • Use stainless steel and aluminium.
    • A pull lever inside cabin.
    • An emergency lever somewhere accessible but out of view outside of the cabin. This is to gain access to the bonnet space to get to the battery in case the battery fails if I'm not inside the car, because if the battery fails then the canopy won't work which means the in-cabin lever couldn't be accessed to open the bonnet (deep breath).
    • Two separate cables - one for each cable pull, in case one cable snaps and just because it's better engineering.
    • Needs a safety catch solution to stop the bonnet flying up if the main catch should fail whilst driving.
    • Needs to open enough to get a hand in to operate the safety catch.

I haven't road tested it yet, but am confident it will work. To follow will be a pair of gas rams that will open the bonnet the rest of the way (but only after the safety catch has been released!).

There's a video at the end too.

First job was to beef up the pivot points with thick fiberglass. Set-screw shanks rotate within nylon bushes...

Here is the in-cabin pull lever. This was the only part bought in, from a company in California...

Here is the custom made emergency pull catch, located in the space where the front axle is and attached to the bulkhead...

Aluminium cable retainers...

These parts are attached to the underside of the bonnet. There is the other half of the Alfa bonnet catch, an aluminium stopper for the spring mechanism and a sprung hook which is part of the solution to stop the bonnet flying up if the catch should fail...

And here's the main catch assembly...

Here is a video showing the whole thing in action. The first opening sequence is with the in-cabin lever; the second with the emergency pull lever...

https://youtu.be/tV87TWlpO-o

All the best!
    Last edited by NovaF4; 17-05-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Very nice bit of engineering looks like it ticks all the boxes.

Dirk

That's just excellent! ... extremely professional and light years away from the original kit with a key which rotated a wee latch!!

Well done!!

Alistair

Nice Giles, its pretty much got all the bits I have done on my Blue Nova from the beefed up bonnet mounting, two pull handles, hidden catch to the gas rams. The only bit I haven't done but plan to is the secondary catch once the bonnet is released (which is probably the most important of all).

Yours is however much more nicely finished than mine , I like the custom bits

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Giles
    Glad you see you are back, with a superb update.
    It is something I also need to look at, for when the car is not used ( I will wait for a comment !) I always leave the bonnet unlocked so that if the battery is flat I can at least get to it to get the roof up by having access to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Giles
    Glad you see you are back, with a superb update.
    It is something I also need to look at, for when the car is not used ( I will wait for a comment !) I always leave the bonnet unlocked so that if the battery is flat I can at least get to it to get the roof up by having access to the battery.

..................haha.....no comment needed, how is the princess

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    The Princess......well, I am trying to fall in love with her again. Kept looking at a certain Haynes Roadster that appears on the forum and wondering about ...........
    She was always rubbish around bends, and then I found by using a piece of string that I had serious toe out on the near side front, even though I had it checked !!! I kept wondering why the wheel bearing worked loose.
    Adjusted and a lot better.
    Have fitted a secondary expansion tank in with the engine bay so now one front and back to assist air bleeding in the cooling system. Seems to work very well 👍