Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: Giles's Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    That's just excellent! ... extremely professional and light years away from the original kit with a key which rotated a wee latch!!

Well done!!

Alistair
    Hi Alistair. Thank you. Mine had that very wee key opening latch during it's whole life on the road with me. Thankfully it never failed. There's a lot of work involved just to keep the bonnet clean that's for sure.

I wouldn't have been able to do it without use of the iPhone video camera which was taped in strategic places within the bonnet space, whilst raising and lowering the bonnet in order to watch frame by frame to get things in the right place. As it was the video showed up evidence of the washer bottle spout and brake resevoir lid both fouling the underside of the bonnet when it was shut. I would have otherwise not known anything about this as both things squashed enough for the bonnet to close!
    Last edited by NovaF4; 17-05-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Giles
    Glad you see you are back, with a superb update.
    It is something I also need to look at, for when the car is not used ( I will wait for a comment !) I always leave the bonnet unlocked so that if the battery is flat I can at least get to it to get the roof up by having access to the battery.
    Thanks Buffy. Hope all's good with you. Funnily enough I have naturally been keeping the bonnet just resting on its spring and not closing it as I'm constantly reaching in and out of the bonnet to take the battery terminals on and off whilst I work on the electrics. And my canopy is in the garage next door!

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Nice Giles, its pretty much got all the bits I have done on my Blue Nova from the beefed up bonnet mounting, two pull handles, hidden catch to the gas rams. The only bit I haven't done but plan to is the secondary catch once the bonnet is released (which is probably the most important of all).

Yours is however much more nicely finished than mine , I like the custom bits

Great minds think alike. But you got there first!

I wonder if Richard Oaks or Phil Sayers ever thought about things like this...

"Hmm, Phil, what about the bonnet, it's not very secure is it?" "Ah let's not worry about that otherwise we'll never get this bloody thing finished!"

Alas the same can be said for many things on the Nova.

That's a very nice bit of fettlin' pretty much bullet proof.
    Double aero catches and back opening myself but I did seriously look at the BMW E30 I have.
    IMG758.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Nice looking engineered solution to the bonnet latch mechanism Giles.
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    A great solution - well done

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Nice one Giles - good to see you are making progress. Any idea when you might be ready for the road again?
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Great idea to video the mechanism from inside the boot with your phone. A well engineered solution to the bonnet "issue". Well done

I was driving my car today when it suddenly crossed my mind the only thing holding the front edge of my bonnet down is an aluminium tongue and what if that was to fail?

I really must fit a safety strap - thanks for the timely reminder
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Nice one Giles - good to see you are making progress. Any idea when you might be ready for the road again?
    Hi Lauren. No light at the end of the tunnel yet. I'm enjoying the design process and researching for parts though.

I had a long break from it as you can probably tell from my lack of posts, due to a serious eye injury from a tennis ball. Two operations later and a couple of years out of most things and I'm OK now. I'm catching up on the forum and able to get upside down in the Nova again. Finding it much harder to get back out again though. It wasn't that hard when I was 21

I sent you an email several weeks ago but I guess it must have gone into your spam folder. I'll try sending it again soon.

Hope all's well.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4 View Post
    I sent you an email several weeks ago but I guess it must have gone into your spam folder. I'll try sending it again soon.

Hope all's well.
    Thanks Giles - all OK here, although like you I am not getting as much done as I used to

Last email contact was August last year I'm afraid - I'm looking forward to hearing your news!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!