Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Giles's Nova

Re: Giles's Nova

I have found the best way to quickly take the rear panel on & off numerous times while modifying them is to hold them in place with vice grips.

I even thought once of making a clamp, similar to a cloths peg but having a bolt in a thread on one of the finger pads & as you screw it in it pushes against the inside of the other finger pad forcing the pinch ends together.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Jimclub and Bushy, interesting ideas but surely you know me by now I'm not going to be using vice grips or clothes pegs (imagine that at a Geneva Motor Show unveiling!) or exposed blingy catches. Minimal, light, non-exposed... etc

Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4
    Hi Dave. That sounds similar to what I was thinking although I don't want my panel resting on the tail pipes, especially if they are going to be located half way up the panel. I want to be able to slide the rear panel on horizontally and then it will stay put until I do up some kind of fixings. I'm sure it's possible. I'll need special catches that I haven't seen before! I have to research fixings and see what's out there.

G
    Not exactly what I was looking for, but;

Also found these, maybe they'd help with the slide for the rear panel.

Hope that's some help.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4
    Hi Dave. That sounds similar to what I was thinking although I don't want my panel resting on the tail pipes,
    Sorry if I wasnt claer, it only rests on the tail pipe after all nuts have been undone and removed, before I slide it out horizontally. Basically allowing me to get it off in one piece single handed

Sorry if I wasnt claer, it only rests on the tail pipe after all nuts have been undone and removed, before I slide it out horizontally. Basically allowing me to get it off in one piece single handed
    That's exactly how I interpreted it

...and what used to happen to mine!

I guess it's almost unavoidable when tail pipes stick out of an enclosed hole. Maybe I'm making too much of this. It only needs to come off for engine/gearbox work so hopefully it won't need to come on and off many times.

Giles

Wot abart fixing tubes to the rear and slightly larger ones to the inner wing and slide the rear on just like a proper car's bumper irons?

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Being able to remove it does make it sooooo much easier to work on the dynamo/alternator and anything else round the engine bay - access through the little rectangular port-hole above is no fun at all!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

JOB 6 continued...
    Engine

Hi Nova fans. I've just returned from Rusper Alfa who are finishing off the job of building my new engine. I caught them by surprise but was relieved to see the Nova sat in the same place it was moved to when I dropped it off and most of the work was complete. Dave the engine builder turned up 10 minutes later after I'd had a good look over it and said "go on then, turn the ignition and press the button". For some reason I wasn't expecting him to have got far enough through the job to warrant pressing the button but of course I did as I was told.

I turned on the ignition, was pleased to see both red and yellow warning lights come on (you know what they're for), the fuel guage arm move round a bit and the oil pressure guage arm flinch. So far so good with my wiring job. I pressed the button.

It fired up instantly and sounded absolutely unbelievable. To describe it I imagine that it would be similar to being in the pit lane garage at Le Mans in the late 70's. It's very loud (partly due to the makeshift exhaust pipe fitted and becasue it was within a narrow area of an indoor space), with a snarling quite aggressive tone. I really wish I'd been able to do all this all those years ago. Needless to say I was very pleased.

"Amazing oil pressure" said Dave. "This thing is going to go like stink!".

Unsurprisingly my 13 year old top air filter sponge domes were pretty knackered so Dave gave me intructions to order some more and get them posted to the garage. I won't be using the standard air filter which is a very impressive plastic box with metal lid, a square filter and which needs the two alloy 90 degree curved casts either side. I found out that this box really quietens the engine dow and you can't hear the air being sucked into the carbs which is the best bit at about 4,500rpm. I'll be using the same thing I used before which is my Pipercross downdraft aftermarket air filters which consist of rubber spacers, metal plates and black sponge top domes.

Once they're fitted I've asked them to then fit the new gearbox arm seal I bought to stop the small leak as they can do it easily with the whole car lifted up. Then all the engine work will be complete and ready to be returned to it's home.

Aparently the water guage doesn't seem to be working so I'll have to inspect that when it arrives back home. I'm convinced I wired it up correctly so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Here are some photos I took when I was there...

Till next time...

Giles

It's looking very smart. Look forward to seeing it at a show sometime.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Oh yes, its a lovely moment when it roars into life. I couldnt get my beast started last weekend, blew out the fuel pipes, made sure there was fuel getting to the carb, and went for it again - a lovely noise
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!