Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lessons learnt

lessons learnt

This is a category for everyone to share their "lessons Learned"
    This can include tech mistakes on our cars, as well as those woderful bloody knuckle, and fat lip moments that inspire those "new" cuss words to be spoken aloud.

C'mon, we've all done it....
    Perhaps, by sharing these wonderful moments, we can in fact help others to take that second thought before it happens to them. All the while get a giggle out of each others moments of clarity!

Re: lessons learnt

Ok, ok, I guess Ill go first.
    6 views and no posts....so,

Ill call this one a jack, coupled with a joker,....

In 2003 I landed a pretty nifty deal at a yard sale. I purchased a 5 ton 4 wheeled floor jack for a fairly small amount of dough. It was ugly, but it worked, and mechanically was in pretty good condition.

Excited to get it home and try it out. I pulled it out of the trunk of my car, opened the garage door, and immediately slid it under the tail of my bradley GT2 and started lifting it up.
    I must have lifted that car 10 inches off of the stands it was sitting on. I was soo geeked it worked and held the car in place.
    I grabbed my creeper and got under the car to get a good look finally at the underside of my newly lofted car.

Everything went well, and I climbed out from under the car. Now on my way out I apparently snagged a wire to the tail lights that the prior owner had left in the car absurdly long for no apprent reason just loosely zip tied in a bundle. So I jumped up and grabbed some wire snips, and double female wire splice. I figured Id quickly clip it, rejoin it and be off to do something else.

When I went back to the car to snip the wire, I kneeled down by the jack and worked on the wiring it was quick a quick and simple,...(so I thought) fix.
    The next thing I know Im being pinned/crushed to the ground while kneeling. so effectively to say Im now triple folded, and going to the concrete fast, Im sure I shrieked or something relative in sound to a little school girl.
    A buddy of mine just so happened to be there to help save me.
    After being helped from this rather scary moment, I realized my jacket sleeve had hit the broken (now manual) release for the hydraulics on the jack. And the fact that when I came back to the car to clip the wire, I positioned myself behind the jack next to the handle. When the car started being let down, the jack had been pushed so far under the car, that the rear bumper was laying the handle out and down. This had started pressing me to the floor under it.

It was a near miss as they say. I now pay very close attention to where I am under a car, even with Jack stands in place. I walked around for the rest of the day feeling like I had busted a rib in my back, hard to breathe for quit awhile after too!

Be aware of your surroundings! Take the time to ensure your being careful.

Another jack woe

Many moons ago my dad and a very young me were putting a gearbox in his car after a clutch change, the car was on 2 jacks only as we had no axle stands in those days. With so much wiggling to get it linned up we shook it off the jacks, so the whole front of the car toppled sideways. the only thing that stopped it crushing the both of us was the fact we had put one of the wheels under the sump, this saved us as the bottom of the car was on my chest.
    We wriggled out and jacked it up again and put the wheels back on and put a couple of spare wheels under the fronts and let the jack down, so now the front wheels were on something solid we got back under and finnished the job.
    Even now I always put the wheel I have taken off under the car, even when I have an axle stand under as well.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Jim,
    I do the same thing with the removed wheel. Fortunately I had that lesson drilled into me by my dad & did not have to find out the hard way.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

All of mine revolve around pain, and not taking safety seriously enough. Lesson learnt about using a metal cutting disc in an angle grinder was that skin, or bone, won't stop a spinning disc!!! I also learned that arc-eye hurts and that there is a good reason for wearing welding goggles, and that you get decent sunburn with a teatowel wrapped around your head to avoid weld spatter !
    And its hard to explain the feeling of relief when you finally pluck up the courage to push a red hot needle through your fingernail to release the pressure of blood build up after trapping your finger in the hinge of a newly contructed door of a Spartan kit car!
    I learnt a really simple lesson recently whilst rubbing down the Avante day after day. If you dont where rubber gloves, you go through copious layers of skin on your fingertips! not just rubbing it off, but also the effect of having them in water all the time means you lose all the moisture in your hands (osmosis I believe). So if you are doing a lot of body prep for painting, buy a few pairs of washing up gloves, they're cheap and well worth it!
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

I learnt that welding splatter is not slowed down by tennis shoes, socks or skin.

Or oily rags on the work bench.
    And burnt off nuts ( not human ) don't make good kneeling pads
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

My dads mate was killed working underneath a range rover, that had 4 axle stands under it, still fell on top of him!

A long time ago a co worker and I in heavy construction school were in the welding portion of the class.
    Our subject, mastering vertical welding.

We were all specifically told DO NOT SIT TOO CLOSE THE YOUR WORK.

Well I learned this fairly quickly. However another in our group had become fairly obsorbed in his work, trying for that stellar grade, only to have things go violently wrong. LOL

Sorry for the giggles but the picture is still permanently etched into my brain. Picture a 6 foot 5 inch tall black man with a sub baratone voice. This guy was huge and not the type of person one would mess with.

Well, from across the 6 bay garage we all start hearing a scream, not a man screaming but more that of a small child in agony.
    We all turn to look to see this massive guy grabbing his groin still wearing the welding helmet hopping up and down screaming. Now to make matters worse to this picture to audio miss match that was going on, he was frantically pulling the coverals away from his groin with such force that his hands would slip releasing them back loose again, this caused a large smoke ring to puff out of his coveralls.
    At this point we all became enlightened to the now obvious problem.

Hot welding slag had slumped off his weld and burnt its way through his jeans and his coveralls resting right next to a rather sensitive region of his body cause a rather significant burn.

We all felt sorry for him, and he recovered fine with no permanent damage; but the image of such a large guy making that noise followed by the repeating smoke rings coming from his pants was too much not to smile at.

OK, got one finally. Involving hammers, lack of gloves and stupidity. And not involving a car. Yesterday I was working on a large banner and was 'cutting in' holes for wind relief as ordered by the client. When doing this I usually punch a hole at the end of each slit in the canvas using a punch for grommets - that keeps the slit from tearing if the wind does start to affect the banner. The grommet punch is small, so gloves would get in the way... you see where this is headed. A couple of strikes in and the hammer slips and hits my thumb of my left hand, right at the edge of the nail. "Splatting" is a good a word as any for what happened, and all I could do is hold my breath as I headed for the bathroom for the first aid kit. Wrapping the digit with gauze and tape, I headed back out to finish the job... of course no wiser as I didn't grab the gloves. The very next strike took out my index finger, breaking the bone at the end. This time all I could do was laugh while trying not to cry and cuss - it was the stupidest move I've ever done. Went back to the bath, gauze, tape and a splint this time, and back out to finish the job.. again. This time I held the punch with a pair of large vice-grips and my hand well away from the hammer. Doctor's appointment today... don't know what he'll do other than what I've done already!

Moral of the story... well, none really. Just don't do stupid things and make sure you have full control of your tools!