Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lessons learnt

Re: lessons learnt

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7
    Doctor's appointment today... don't know what he'll do other than what I've done already!
    Cancel the appointment and save your co-pay...unless it starts getting infected, all the Doc will do is re-bandage it and re-splint it...for 20 times the cost of you doing it with stuff from Target! Although, if you whine like a little girl, you might be able to get some prescription pain killers out of the visit!
    1975 Sterling
    215 ci Buick V8
    Sterling in Garage! Back to work!

I think he wants to make sure the bone isn't in 14 pieces or that I didn't take the knuckle out with it. But prescription meds right now would be nice...

I think it's obvious what any doc would do - laugh at the story. We all have those moments though Rick... just not all of us have them twice in a row.

Ok, here is mine.

Being bloddy minded I set myself an objective to build my whole conservatory with no assistance.

Penultimate task was to remove the old cast iron soil pipe from the house, and replace the upper part with plastic so I could pass through a roof section.

Up on the ladder level with the first floor I started to cut the pipe with a 9" grinder. Needless to say those pipes are heavy, and once half way through the weight of the pipe pinched shut onto the disc, and kicks the grinder out at me. I fall part attached to the ladder, with grinder swinging to me (locked on). Grinder custs from above the knee up to inner thigh, and thankfully stops just in the right place if you get my drift.

Now I don't do hospitals so I sit shaking at home alone on the conservatory floor, with a tea towel wrapped around the gash in my leg, and bandage it up heavily for the next fortnight, struggling to work ! I still have the scar, and a mortal fear of angle grinders !

I did finish the task though, and was very proud of it

All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

OUCH!
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Blimey …. Where to start, After 30 years of travelling abroad working everywhere on this ball of mud Except Oz and Nz (yet I live in hope) I could fill in a lot of pages but here is one which still pains me to this day …… Manila Philippines 3years ago, I was up-grading 7 machines to PLC control and had 1 left to do and almost finished the last but one and was rushing to finish, mistake number one. The front half of the unit is hinged and is held in position by two really big pneumatic pistons and springs, there are two adjusting nuts one on each side for positioning the front half, which are only finger tight. Each have several settings and need to be the same or the front will be out-of-alignment i.e. pissed. I hit the ‘open’ button and the pistons started to move the front all 600Kg of it, when it had almost reached the point of no return I let go the open button and quickly reached in to change the cam (positioning nut) to its manual position. Mistake number two! As the front had not quite reached the point where its weight was more than the springs and now compressed air inside the piston could cope with. It sprang back with my arm inside the jaws, it clamped my arm quite tightly at the elbow joint between the two flat sections which when closed have a gap of 2,8mm my arm at the joint is a little more than that! As it jumped back so did I …… it was quicker and grabbed me I hit the emergency stop switch ‘with my back’ effectively saving my arm but shutting down the machine so even if I could have reached the ‘open’ button it would not have worked. Like I said it was an upgrade and the pneumatics are old and they leaked the air was very slowly bleeding into the closed side of the piston and the pressure was increasing. Fortunately the other side of the piston the seals were good and it was acting as a stop but the close side was winning. The emergency stop switch is locked when activated and requires a key to unlock it the key was in the other switch and my back was firmly against the activated unit. I was fortunate to have a local engineer who was ‘on the ball’ and could see what had happened and did the only thing which saved my arm …. He by-passed the system and forced the ‘open’ valve open which took the mounting pressure off my elbow and I could get my arm out.
    When working for Exon (several years before) they drill into you …… ‘take 2’ take two min’s to check what your doing will it hurt you? will it hurt someone around you? Its only a quick visual check and it don’t take 2 mins but its worth it each and every time. I could have lost my left arm in a very painful manor, the discomfort and pain I still have now reminds me to check twice … take 2.