Thread: Short Axles

Short Axles

Out of interest.... does anyone know how much shorter the 60s beetle axles are? and what's involved in fitting them to 70s transmission/brakes?
    Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7

Re: Short Axles

From memory, I believe the Type 3 has shorter axles. Someone recommended I fit them to my 'reek so I could fit on a larger wheel/tyre combo. I'm already running a 9" rim with 10" rubber, I really don't need 11" rims and 12" rubber. I had trouble enough finding tyres in 265 for 14" rims. lol

As for fitting them, I believe it's a fairly straight swap.

Pre '69 Swing axles are 2 1/2" shorter than post'69 the difference is from spring plate to hub and they are interchangable, I have late axles on my '66 chassis with a 1302 gearbox converted to swing.
    As can be seen on this shot

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Peter,

What are the calipers you are using on the rear? Also is that a standard adapter plate that came with them or something you fabricated?

Cheers

So in theory i could just buy pre-67 axles and install my '71 rear brakes straight onto them?
    Eagle SS - VW MK2 Economy - Body No.7