Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuous Insurance

Continuous Insurance

Another load of bull from DVLA, if you don't declare your vehicle as SORN because you still have some tax left on it you will also have to ensure that it is insured as well otherwise guess what? yet another fine. Basically they are saying that because the car is taxed but not insured you could be tempted to drive it. More of an issue for those with historic tax where you don't have to pay for the tax but may only insure the car for six months a year.
    Just thought I would let you know.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Continuous Insurance

Yes, I got a note from Flux to the same effect - unless you declare SORN you must have valid insurance at all times. The FHBVC apparently approve!

I guess I'm not too bothered about it myself, although I might have to think twice about allowing my insurance to lapse until I renew the MoT or tax disc... As you say, another way in which the law-abiding driver is tied up in legislative knots while the criminal element simply go about their business without a care in the world...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

making it more difficult to keep owning a car that is more thought of than your avarage daily drive, i know of numerous people who have been pulled because they forgot to mot or insure.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

I enquired about sorn some years ago with DVLA, as my car has been off the road for a very long time... And was told that if it had been off the road before sorn came in, it didn't need to be sorned now... I confirmed that they had the registration details still!

`¬)

Any vehicle that was off the road and not taxed before 1998 won't be sorn'd and does not come into this new regulation, however if for any reason it has been sorn'd after 98 then you will need to comply.

I think the rule on SORN for older vehicles that were off the road before the change came in is that you only have to SORN it once - i.e. You don't get an annual reminder to re-SORN every year. This certainly applies to my old motorcycle.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

They must have changed the rules (again). In my case the Green Machine had been off the road since 1992 and I just needed to take the logbook and other supporting paperwork (MoT, insurance) to my local VRO and that got me a new tax disc.

At least now DVLA are strapped for cash (like the rest of us) they are less keen on rolling out spy-in-the-cab data recorders and road pricing - or enforcing total uniformity on the car owning public!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I often wonder if the people making decisions at DVLA actually drive vehicles. We know that their remit is simply to generate revenue, to the point that they flaunt UK law when it pleases them, and prey on the less informed to just "pay up" They are bureaucratically top heavy and don't provide their own staff at the sharp end with correct information. This plan will wither on the vine if classic car owners and car builders start SORN'ing their car 2 or 3 times a year. In fact the public could blow this one open, if enough people protest by SORN'ing and un SORN'ing every month!!
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

Hello all.

Just to have my two penth:-

My car has not been on the road for an age so i rang the DVLA & a nice lady told me as my car is in a state of rebuild I will not need to start this SORN / Insurance game until it is next on the road. i.e taxed.

So all i've got to do is get it back on the road

Thanks.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

I'll second that, we have a white Morris Traveller that is taking an age to rebuild - (my fault!) I got a bit worried that they weren't sending annual reminders to sorn or tax, phoned them, and was told that with tax exempt vehicles they're not interested in annual sorn renewals basically the paperwork costs outweigh any possible benefit........
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*