Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Law - Monday 7 March 2011

Re: New Law - Monday 7 March 2011

We always are, and the chancellor weeping crocodile tears and claiming that he 'feels our pain' doesn't really con anyone - our barely elected government have been raking off the windfall profits on the petrol very happily thank you - absolutely not in their interests to change anything - especially when they can pretend 'green' motives (like the pretense that diesel is frightfully bad for the environment and should bear a greater tax because of it... nothing to do with the fact that you can go much further on a gallon of it so they'd rake off less if they didn't skew the taxes accordingly.) Guy Fawkes had the right solution really

Rant over - wouldn't it be nice if it was made legal to 'punch a politician' - I bet they could charge loads for that!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey
    BTW they have now upped the female insurance to the same as male, EU sex discrimination laws which seems fair
    What's fair about that? I acknowledge that women do have accidents (and many can't drive for peanuts), but increasing premiums of a statistically safer group of drivers to the same level as the statistically unsafest is just nonsense. Where do you draw the line? I live at least 100 feet above sea level, should I pay extra for my house insurance because those who live on a flood plain do?

I agree with BBC though, premiums for young drivers are insane. I struggled to get myself on the road 30 years ago, but that was nothing compared to today.

Depressing, insn't it?

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

IF female drivers are considered to be a safer bet for an insurance company then it is the insurance company that takes the risks and pays out so why should outside influences be allowed to dabble.
    If the insurance companies were going bust like the banks and costing everyone in the country by making us pay up in some way then I would agree with outside influences dabbling. This is not soley a gender issue this is a statistical one over many many years, basically females do less mileages and drive in slower areas (certain ladies excepted, but think school runs and shopping, and yes I know that others do a lot of miles but in the balance you see more male reps on the motorways and more male lorry drivers than female), a lot of young males like to show off and drive as fast as they can whereas (except my eldest daughter) females just want to get from A-B with their girlfriends. Statistics show that of two young driver accidents the lads accident would be bigger and cost more whereas the girls accident would not be as big.
    So I say to the EU sod off and leave us to govern ourselves.

Put it this way, you wouldnt dare say a black man was more likely to be involved with knife crime (even though statistics show that), you would be a racist to think so. Here is my point, you cant just say a whole group is at fault or dangerous just because a few from that group are, thats like saying all muslims are extremists, a few are the majority are not.
    insurance is soley based on gender, well it isnt anymore.
    For once I think EU are just making it fairer.
    Surely youd feel the same way if youd just passed your test and your first quote is twice/three times that of a girl who has also just passed their test, both parties should create their own reputation, should never be branded.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Hi Chris - while I agree with you in principle, in this particular instance the male premiums will stay the same and female premiums will be increased to match. So who is discriminating against who now?

Premiums need to come down, we don't want to end up with a culture of litigation as in the US. That's my view, for what its worth. As BBC says, insurance companies judge the risk that individual drivers pose and charge their premiums accordingly. But they are now too high, fuelled by our growing compensation culture.

Getting back on-topic, one thing I would urge you all to do is check the wording on your policy carefully. My insurance is calculated on the basis that Green Machine is kept garaged overnight. However, my latest policy, received a couple of weeks ago, now states that the cover is only operative between the hours of 10:00 pm and 06:00 am. This is not what I understood the term "garaged overnight" to mean.

Insurance companies are coming up with more and more of these restrictions, and charging us all more for the privaledge.

No more 05:30 starts for me then!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!