Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: Mostin's Nova

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    So Stones is a go for you?
    I'm working on it. If I can make it, it'll be on the Sunday.

Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear you are back in business

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Good to hear you are back in business
    Cheers Steve.

I've not been happy with the free play in the steering. I managed to track it down to free play where the steering column clamps onto the steering box.

Cheers.
    Mostin.

Hi Mostin,

I've been reading your thread with a keen interest in your front and rear coilovers and general suspension set up. Like you I've got a swing axle rear. I've got a new front beam with 'Avis style' adjusters.

I know that Steve's going down a similar route to you, but like me, he's still not actually 'hit the road' yet.

I've noted Lauren's advice about spring ratings and would love to know if you eventually changed your springs, and what your views are about their performance (or indeed that of the original coilover springs if you're still running them)

Many thanks, Alistair

Hi Alistair.

Glad to see my build posts have been of some help.

I fitted the front & rear Red9 coil over kits as part of my build so didn't have chance to drive my Nova on standard vw spring plate set up so I couldn't say if it's better or worse.

The kits come with the springs rated for vw beetle so the front was quite hard. I changed the front to a softer 100lb spring which made things feel a lot better. I've also got my radiator mounted in a box which adds a small amount of extra weight to the front.

I kept the rear spring rating the same as it came with from Red9 but added some small extensions to the shocker tops to give me a better ride hight. This was because the Subaru sump sits quite low.

All in all I'm happy with the ride once I'm clear of the speed humps around my village. But I guess most people would say that

Good to hear your making progress on your build.

Have fun & enjoy you'll soon be on the road.

Cheers.
    Mostin.

Thanks Mostin,

My heart wants to buy lots of shiny new bits and pieces for my Nova, but my head is telling me to just get her on the road with the basic suspension set up first, and then start changing the suspension once I've got a better understanding of the benefits. For example, if I'm going to spend all that money on suspension, shouldn't I be converting to IRS too?

The good thing is that all such changes can be done with the body on the chassis, so I don't have to make the commitment just yet.

Perhaps a trip to Stones in 2019 would be time well spent for me to see a selection of Novas and have a good chat with the owners.

In the meantime, thanks again!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 17-09-2018 at 07:20 PM.

IRS is good but the benefits are marginal if you have a swing set up done right. I have swing and during the 1995-1999 period it was on the road I had no problems driven HARD.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Alistair
    I have the same set up at mostin.
    It is good , but if you are thinking of IRS, you will need to do it now for it will be so much easier with the body off. Just look at what dirk was had to do.
    Regards
    Buffy

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Alistair
    I have the same set up at mostin.
    It is good , but if you are thinking of IRS, you will need to do it now for it will be so much easier with the body off. Just look at what dirk was had to do.
    Regards
    Buffy

I agree with that, it is a lot harder with the body on, I also agree with Peter though if you are just putting a beetle engine back in stick with the swing axle.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I agree with that, it is a lot harder with the body on, I also agree with Peter though if you are just putting a beetle engine back in stick with the swing axle.

Dirk
    I dunno Dirk, you made the IRS conversion with the body on look like a piece of cake!!

Anyway, thanks Mostin/Peter/Mark/Dirk ... that's all very helpful. I'm intending to stick with my 1776 VW to get the car back on the road, so will probably stick with the swing axle.

Alistair