Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Mostin's Nova

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Maybe one pump was pumping more water that the other one could shift causing extra pressure on the hose? ( I do harp on don't I )

Dirk
    lol. No probs it all part of the fun.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

How about a photo this time ! 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    How about a photo this time ! 😀
    I've just need to hold the selfie stick out the sun roof while I'm driving

I manage to take my Nova out for a bit of testing.

Temp gauge is looking a lot better.

Mostin.

Good
    Still no documentary evidence though !😀
    Looking forward to seeing your car at the weekend

Hi Mostin,

I'm busy gearing up to overall the brakes (new discs/calipers on front, maybe an EMPI disc brake conversion for rear) and suspension on my Nova.

Concerning suspension, I have been reading about your Red9 coil over spring systems fitted to the front and rear of your car, and really fancy going down this route. I was also impressed by the 3-bar bracing system you fitted. Regarding your rear suspension set-up, please can you tell me where you obtained the bracing kit, if it bolts straight on to the Red9 parts as supplied, and if any welding was needed to brace the bars to the chassis horns (sorry for all the questions!)?

Cheers,

Colin
    Ps- Red9 advertise a rear conversion kit for IRS but I couldn't see one on the site for my own swing axle set-up (which is the one you have also?)), and have emailed them to enquire.

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
    Hi Mostin,

I'm busy gearing up to overall the brakes (new discs/calipers on front, maybe an EMPI disc brake conversion for rear) and suspension on my Nova.

Concerning suspension, I have been reading about your Red9 coil over spring systems fitted to the front and rear of your car, and really fancy going down this route. I was also impressed by the 3-bar bracing system you fitted. Regarding your rear suspension set-up, please can you tell me where you obtained the bracing kit, if it bolts straight on to the Red9 parts as supplied, and if any welding was needed to brace the bars to the chassis horns (sorry for all the questions!)?

Cheers,

Colin
    Ps- Red9 advertise a rear conversion kit for IRS but I couldn't see one on the site for my own swing axle set-up (which is the one you have also?)), and have emailed them to enquire.
    Colin

Just helping you out here as I have the same as Mostin.

The bracing bar you refer to is called a truss / strut bar. If you search under those titles you will find what you need.

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac3016518...ss-bar-t1-rear

They just bolt straight onto the top of the suspension and gearbox carrier. No welding required. Be mindful though that the vertical bar can run very close to the petrol tank. I have one fitted.

For the Red9 kit, again I have the same as mostin front and back. Just phone them up as they do supply for swing axle. I got the complete kit for a grand through phoning them which was cheaper than on line, and they also gave me free postage. Vey helpful bunch.

Hope this helps

Mark

Hi Colin.

As Buffy has said above. You can get truss / strut bar that just bolts in place & you tension it when its fitted. You can also get one that you can weld on to the end plate that bolts to the chassis forks but the bolt in one is a much simpler job to install.

Like Buffy said The top vertical bar runs close to the beetle tank. I changed my tank out as my beetle one was more rust that metal. When i did this i made a shelf/ platform for the new tank to sit on. With the vertical bar runs just underneath.

As for the Red9 front & rear:- Its a straight swap out for the original parts. The main change is you are removing the torsion bars front & rear because you are moving over to the coil over springs & dampers

This means on the rear, the shocker takes most of the suspension load on the rear chassis horns. One or two people have commented about the strength of the horns but no one has said they have done this & its failed. Its one of those calls you'll have to make.

Also keep in mind the Red9 kits are made to run at standard ride height or less & has about 2 inch of adjustment to lower a beetle (Cal look). On my Nova if i adjust the coil overs down it sits on the floor at the front & my Subaru sump kisses the cats eyes on the road

That's why you may feel the need to add some sort of spring lifters like Buffy has done on the front & extend the rear shocker tops like mine, just to get some more adjustment back if you want to lift the ride height slightly above standard.

Hope that all makes sense.....

Have fun.
    Mostin.

Hi both,

That's tremendously useful advice and exactly​ what I needed!

Simon at Red9 responded to my email query very quickly and confirmed they do a rear system for the swing axle.

Thanks for the tips re: degree of drop after fitting the kit- I will keep this in mind with a view to adjustments once fitted.

As well as suspension/brakes, I'm in the process of stripping/refurbing the Lancia TC engine......

I'll provide an update (plenty of pics hopefully) on my build thread soon.

Cheers,

Colin

Mostin, Did you run your car with the bonnet off for a while in the end to narrow down the best fix for the cooling issues?