Thread: IVA tests etc.

IVA tests etc.

Hello all.

I've just been reading & viewing the pics from the last show & one thing that came up was why the photos have there number plates blocked out. The reply was so the DVLA can't call the owners in for IVA tests etc.

When & why can they do that?

The reason i'm asking is my car now stripped down to the floor pan & body off (i think thats progress lol) is on a 'Q' plate & in the past has been on the road with just an MOT.

So when it all comes back together is it not just a case of taking it for an MOT again? After all i don't want to be throwing money at it if im going to get stuffed by the DVLA

Cheers.
    Mostin
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Re: IVA tests etc.

Your fine,
    IVA tests are only for newly registered vehicles, its worrying people on here who have age related plates so DVLA may be whatching, age related plates are only really for the original vehicle (beetle in our case) so any modifications to the vehicle espesially those on the chassis and engine may cause the DVLA to pull the age related plate into question.

However your vehicle aswell as mine is on a Q plate, the Q plate is designed to be used on vehicles that were built from parts from different vehicles which are either new or old. You had to put your car through an SVA test and pass to get the Q plate. The SVA test is now the IVA test and pretty much lets you do anything to the vehicle, you can swap engines, major chassis components, body etc etc.
    The Nova and Eagle SS and such kits are very very unlikely to pass IVA testing due to the new rules imposed, for example the headlights are too low to pass the current rules, the list is pretty endless and this is why any unregistered kits are only really any use for spare parts, unless you can manage to pursueade the DVLA that you should have an age related plate which is what some club members are in the process of doing, to do this you need to enter a point system, the more original your vehicle the more points you score etc.

So you have no need to worry about the current registration laws, however if you do put pictures of your car on here I would suggest blurring the plates out, DVLA are very nosey crafty b#££ers, might be some other rubbish they dont like about your car.

As I have probably the only nova with genuinely unaltered stock Beetle underpinnings, and the DVLA have ammended my registration document to have 'Nova' included I have the least to worry about in terms of classic status, but what's the point of taking risks?
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Thanks Chris.

So the "Q" plate came good in the end It seemed to have a bit of a stigma when i got it registered as a "Q" plate.

Cheer.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

I think the Q plate ha the stigma because its dead certain its a kitcar, anybody building replicas will want age related or a private plate, I havent seen many replicas perhaps just one or two that didnt look like they were kitcars, but they probly cost more to build than buying the original anyway
    Most replicas are blatantly obvious "kitcars"

Apart from the fact that its not tax exempt, a Q plate is perfect for car builders who can modify without any fears! If I get another Spartan it will be a Q plate.
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!