Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another MOT

Another MOT

Didn't sail through this time, had to have the front valance off and do some serious welding to the frame-head (the valance does a good job of making everything inaccessible and makes some potential problems worse!) - so here's a heads-up: There are drain holes in the frame-head and at the bottom of the suspension towers and if you don't keep them poked out you are saving up a whole lot of pain for yourselves! Also discovered that whover built mine originally drilled down through the font of the shell and embedded gutter bolts pointing thread-down, then filled over them as a method of holding the front on........ Lovely! (and they had rusted mostly through over the years)

Anyway, all done now, new underframe panel and all the gash stuff replaced, everything galvafroided and it'll get a coat of black before Waxoyling. And it's legal for another year....

Just found that the alternator has decided it wants to chuck out 15 to 17 volts, so that's going to have to be sorted before it frys the battery - there's no extrnal box with the after-market Bosch 51 Amp ones, so I bet it's a 'scrap it and see' item! Anybody had any experience with adjusting output/getting replacement regulators?
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Another MOT

Congratulations Alex! Hope you can get the alternator sorted. Do they get fried by the engine heat or something? You seem to be getting through them at a fair old rate!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3
    there's no extrnal box with the after-market Bosch 51 Amp ones, so I bet it's a 'scrap it and see' item! Anybody had any experience with adjusting output/getting replacement regulators?
    Alex

Congratulations on MOT.

Do I understand from your Alternator woes that you have the type with the external regulator? If so then that's the same as mine. I found a replacement regulator on eBlag (£15 I think) when I changed over from Dynamo last year.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Thanks Mick! No I've got one with an internal regulator, which seems to have given up regulating........ It was doing it most of the time to and from Stones, I just wasn't trusting the Smiths gauge then, but now I've checked with a voltmeter I trust. Retrodubs say they sell a replacement internal one for the alternators they sell now, but they're no longer Bosch as they've stopped making them - can't see that it'll fit but I'll go and have a look.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Well, £23 odd quid for the replacement regulator and the problem seems to be solved, getting a nice steady 14.4 volts with the engine running..... pity they made it so you have to remove the alternator from the car and the fan from the alternator before you can get at the little blighter, but much better than £100+ for a complete replacement geny!

Here we go again, I've been posting MOT passes since 2006 (as amazingly the car had an MOT when I originally bought it) just took it down for this years episode (early for a change!) and it romped through with no problems and no advisories! Hooray!

There's hope for us all then. Congratulations
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Well done Alex!

only Pythagoras can save me now!

http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031