Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake ajustment

Brake ajustment

Hi all.

Its now time to start planning ahead for my brakes shopping list. I have a dual master cylinder with a good pair of front disks & drums on the rear.

My question is with the front being so much lighter than a beetle the front end is some what over braked with the disks so I'll need to try to balance this out with the rear brakes. If so is there any after market brake compensator i can put inline?

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Re: Brake ajustment

Hi Mostin. I would recommend using a brake bias adjuster which gets plumbed in between the front and rear brake pipes. Due to the Nova's rear engine, when braking all that weight is thrown forwards so you will need to dial in more pressure to the rear brakes. I haven't actually tried mine yet but i know that it will work and that all Nova's should have one.

I got mine from Demon Tweeks. Have a look at their website. it's not very big and you may have to weld or bolt a plate onto your front beam to hold it in place. Mine has a large nut which turns easily to adjust pressure to the front or to the rear.

Have a look through my forum post for my re-build and you will find a photo or two of it. My Nova has disks all round but that wasn't always the case and I kept locking up at the front. In fact, the brakes were useless.

All the best,
    Giles.

greetings to all...re mostins brakes........
    from denis...blue nova ....southcoast....
    i have gone the whole way...with vented discs and six pot at front..also a boost assist....
    at the rear i have a balance adjuster..with lines to both single discs...now i expect this would be a lot too much for mostpeople...but my setup is a large type 4..bored to100.mm.
    i weighed the front at300ks..........but the rear is over 500.kgs.total ....
    i am not able to drive the total car but in the space outside my garage the chassis.will wheelie
    and stop most satisfiying ..
    good luck in whatever you do.see you sometime..des.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Hi Mostin - if you are not looking at the expense of twin master cylinders with a brake bias bar, I would second Giles' recommendation of an adjustable proportioning valve. This will need to be plumbed into the front brake circuit, in order to prevent the front wheels locking up prematurely. This will happen if the Nova has disc/drum brakes and is run without the spare wheel up front - ask me how I know

Denis' figures say it all: 37.5:62.5 Front/Rear weight distribution (and 800 kg all-up, an honest measurement for once). Lighter than a Beetle, and with a more extreme rear weight bias, the stock brake balance will always need to be looked at. Anyone who says different ain't trying hard enough

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Too right guys, took me a while to bite the bullet and cough up for some decent anchors but it pays dividends in the long run. I have vented fronts with Wilwood four pots and Bugpack disc kit on rear, with Locost pedal assembly and biased twin masters , it works.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I have an adjustable proportioning valve on mine, works a treat. A few sprints up and down a side road and slamming my brakes on whilst my dad told me what was locking up when.......a couple of minor adjustments of the valve and job done!

Hi all.

I've had a look on Demon-tweeks site & they do one of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do ... brake+bias

In the info it says all i would need to do is fit this inline on the front brake pipes from my dual master cylinder. Which looks straightforward enough.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

That's the ticket
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

That should do it. Mine isn't sold any more but looks a bit like this:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motors...e/1719/0/39908

Try item 270789611824 on Ebay ....... It seems the Same product save Ł40 +.

Terry