Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Telecam Update

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Telecam Update

Thanks for the links Richard - as you can see, nothing comes close to the look of the originals

They were marked Polaroid, with a style number something like 576, I can't remember. Chrome plated plastic rims with pop-out lenses and stainless steel arms.

Dark Star is probably my all time favourite movie. Every time I watch it I keep telling them to do things differently, so they don't get blown up. I will have to look for that fan site...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I thought that 5th link was getting close. Keep looking, you'll find another pair. They're out there. Now that I know they're Polaroid, how's this? Not them, but closer, I think.

you could always have them chromed to match your old ones

Yes, I was thinking about that for my current sunnies, which are designed to fit over normal spectacles. They aren't too bad, although I think they look a bit Darth Vader...

http://www.over-glasses.com/sunglasses/ ... rised.html

Mine are the gun metal ones. Still look a bit normal for my liking though

Lauren

No - don't do it !!

They're, um, not my taste !...

Not Chrome but these are roughly the right look IMSAO (slightly arrogant opinion):

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... m=1&itbs=1

Or failing that I really like the blue ones on the first link in Cyco's post.....

Somehow I just think big and round will look right when the driver is seen in the Nova's spaceship cockpit.

I was wondering where your switches were - I could only see one on your dashboard.

I am certain I will be carrying out the same mod now - I would be stupid not to, although many many other tasks await first - not least the continuing redesign of the entire rear window assembly (now adding a surround to support the back of the replacement tunnel properly and stop fumes from coming in to the car),

Steve

Actually I think I take that back.... I just looked closer and they are seriously retro-space age looking sunglasses....

Quote Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gamer
    No - don't do it !!

They're, um, not my taste !...

Not Chrome but these are roughly the right look IMSAO (slightly arrogant opinion):

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... m=1&itbs=1

Or failing that I really like the blue ones on the first link in Cyco's post.....

Somehow I just think big and round will look right when the driver is seen in the Nova's spaceship cockpit.

I was wondering where your switches were - I could only see one on your dashboard.

I am certain I will be carrying out the same mod now - I would be stupid not to, although many many other tasks await first - not least the continuing redesign of the entire rear window assembly (now adding a surround to support the back of the replacement tunnel properly and stop fumes from coming in to the car),

Steve
    Hmm, more like these I think.

Anyway, less talk about retro sunnies and more talk about telecams! lol

Yes, I agree - I think a retro-sunnies thread is required elsewhere

Steve, its up to you - if you are going to use your camera purely for reversing, then there is really no need to modify; its only when you get out onto a crowded motorway after dark that you will appreciate the change. For me, it is quite simply the best modification I have made, possibly even eclipsing the 42° FOV lens (although I would recommend this modification as well). The IR cut filter cost me £23, the new lens about £10 including postage.

The only other nice-to-have would be a dual-mode motor drive lens, which could switch from narrow to wide-angle when you engage reverse gear, for the best of both worlds. This would mean using a CCD board camera with a CS mount and a suitable motor-drive lens. Just a thought, if you are about to embark on your telecam journey!

Not very clear, but the main switches are located on the inner sill next to my right leg. Within easy reach, but not illuminated at present, so not so easy to operate at night!

Its a purely functional solution, not aesthetically pleasing. My muse dashboard (1975 Alfa Romeo Eagle concept) used touch switches on the main binnacle, but I haven't the room, and I don't much like the idea of capacitive touch switches in such an electrically noisy environment, so the switches will not be on the dash. There may be room for one or two on the centre console, the remainder will probably have to go in a switch console between the seat and the sill panel, possibly angled towards the driver. We shall see...

Lauren

God - that Eagle Concept dashboard is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to do when I started - right down to the row of coloured square warning lights, - it's beautiful and retro-space age all in one go. But money and practicality scuppered that idea for me, so I really do wish you luck with getting something similar working. Looking on the net I can see it is perfectly possible to do touch switches. I see nothing wrong with your positioning for the current switches either - assuming you don't kick them getting in and out.

For the record by the way, I have sat in various Novas now and I found yours 'felt' the most comfortable (with Mike's Purple Passion coming a close second), so you must be doing something right.

Back on telecams (sorry), I was hoping to get mine mounted this weekend, but the replacement perspex sheet for the outer part of the window is delayed (being provided by my sister in law - who runs a sign company in Chester) so Cest La Vie. I love the idea of a motorised lens; now you really are talking flash... just when I was considering the possibility of having two cameras - the current one modified a la Lauryn, and the second set in the back panel for reversing only (the monitor has two inputs and can be switched of course).

Still, for the moment I will install it as is and discover for myself all the same issues that you did

Steve

There seem to be several suppliers currently selling dual CCD camera systems (mounted in tandem on a common bracket, but able to be pointed independently), but with each board costing £40-50 and duplicating all the electronics, it just seems to be the wrong way to go, IMHO. With a motorised lens on a single camera board it should be quite easy to rig it so that the lens goes to wide-angle when reverse gear is engaged, for example.

Its amazing how good that Eagle dash looks, compared with the non-descript exterior. There again, Aldo Brovarone (for it was he) also penned the 206 Dino, so it was the design brief, for a convertible car with good rollover protection (and the Alfetta running gear), that dictated the final shape.

When it comes to interior design, Guigiaro has always paid more attention than his contemporaries at Pininfarina or Bertone, which is why the Eagle dash comes as such a surprise. I've still got a roll of electric blue Alcantara which I got from Giles if I want to go the whole hog with this design, although I may have to stick with a black top to minimise reflections in the windscreen.

...One for the "Interior" thread I think!

Lauren

PS - no problem hitting the switches when I get in and out, but my deeper footwells may be the reason for that - my legs aren't jammed between the wheel and the cockpit sides, which is more typical for Nova drivers!