Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutches & gearbox input shaft size?

Clutches & gearbox input shaft size?

Hi all.

Is there a difference in sizes of gearbox shafts? Im about to order a new clutch plate for my kennedy flywheel & they advise a 200mm clutch plate but the old cluch plate is only 180mm but are the centers the same i.e will either clutch plate size fit any gearbox input shaft?

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Re: Clutches & gearbox input shaft size?

The input shafts are the same but the bellhousing diameter isn't. A 200mm is a later 12 volt transaxle, the 180 is the 6 volt. You can put the later clutch into an earlier bellhousing, but you'll need to mate it to the appropriate 200mm flywheel - and then clearance the bellhousing to make it all fit. It isn't difficult work, just fiddly... and you have to watch any sparks or open flames in clearancing a housing - it's magnesium and the dust could catch quite easily.

Hi.

A bit more info to go on:- I'm starting to think the 180mm clutch plate is a red herring as it came in a "box of bits" when i got the car. I also know that the VW beetle was made in late 1971 (I've had that confirmed by VW) so would've thought that the box would be the newer (12volt) box by then.

I've counted the splines on the input shaft from the gearbox & there are 20.

But when i look closer online at clutch plates like this one http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Clu ... geToLoad=1

They have 24 splines, even the 180mm ones have 24 splines or am i having a blonde moment

Cheers.
    Mostin.

Never assume that the car you bought is all original. Simply measure your engines flywheel (across the depression where the clutch sits) and you'll have your answer as to what clutch pack is the right one. I've never thought too much about the splines; I'll have to take a look at the couple I have in the garage later today. Both my 180 and 200mm plates slide on my 12v transaxle, so methinks the splines aren't too much an issue, but I'll check again to make sure.

I have a 1302 transaxle on a AH 1600 T2 engine with a Kennady clutch (200mm) in 30 years I have not come across a differnt spline shaft. (that doesn't mean ther isn't one out there somewhere )

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Hi All

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7
    Never assume that the car you bought is all original
    Well Letterman7 it looks like you have hit the nail on the head!!

Thanks for the input from you guys & I've had a closer look at the clutch plate from the "box of bits". After looking around the net it looks like this is a clutch plate for a Ford Pinto engine...........

It also fits the input shaft from my gearbox that's why i only have 20 splines on it (for a Ford Pinto) & not 24 splines on it (for a VW).

So I'll either need to find a VW gearbox input shaft & change it back or just look out for a different gear box.........Happy days.

Cheers.
    Mostin.

Or fit a Pinto engine

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Ok... refresh my memory - what gearbox do you have? Is it in the car already? Can you post a photo? I can't see a VW box with a different input shaft... it just won't work. However, it may be a Bus box which I think has a different spline count, but without more info I can't say for sure.

Hi.

Yep sounds confusing. I'll tell you it confused me lol. & yes it's in place on the floor pan. A pain but all part of the fun.

Its a VW beetle gear box (Stamped AA so its a 1200) but in the past it's had a new input shaft made so it can be mated up to an old X flow / pinto Ford engine. It would also need an adaptor plate as well.

Just out of intrest. If someone has a beetle gearbox sitting around with no engine attached can they count the spines on the in put shaft for me please.

Cheers.
    Mostin.

s my engines out I should get chance in the morning , maybe even a photo as well.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031