Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gearbox Oil Leak - Identifying Problem

Re: Gearbox Oil Leak - Identifying Problem

Thanks for taking the time commenting on this. I'm almost 100% sure that it isn't coming from the input shaft seal which I agree could only be the result of overfilling the gearbox. This is because of the following:

1. The gearbox was not overfilled. It was filled up unti it started to drip out of the filler hole at which point I left it until the drips had stopped and then screwed in the plug.
    2. The car hasn't been driven anywhere so the gearbox oil could not have been splashed around. (Although twice I have turned the engine over by about 14 rotations.)
    3. There is no evidence of leakage where the engine joins with the gearbox.

The wierd thing is that there is no evidence that it is coming from the drive shafts either.

I'll do the paper towel thing tomorrow and see what I find.

I'll also do a process of elimination to see if it only happens when I turn the engine over by hand.

OK I've found where the gearbox oil is leaking from. It is coming from the driver's side rear trailing arm where it enters the gearbox. It is not coming from the rubber gaitor but a bit further along where the metal round part is. It was dripping onto the horn lip and running along to the end where it was then dripping onto that metal plate and onto the floor. I'll have to research how to fix it. Thank goodness the engine doesn't need to come out. Any VW experts out there who know exactly what is happening and the best method to fix it? How long will it take, how much would a garage charge etc. Maybe the garage that are fitting the engine can fix it beforehand. Below is a photo...

An easy fix - you'll need to get the seal for the flange on that side. Remove the drive shaft completely - undo the perimeter 12 point bolts on both the transaxle and the wheel. Pry the cover cap off the center of the drive hub, under that is a circlip. Remove that and slip the drive hub off the splined shaft. Carefully pry the old seal out and replace. Reassemble in reverse order.

Thanks that's a great help!

Yep, thats the one, leaking here seems pretty common , but difficult to figure out because the oil runs down the fork, and gathers at the end where it drips off
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

I'm surprised it's leaking. It was fitted 11 years ago but has never seen any action. I don't think it's possible to buy just the seal. Could you please tell me from the page below what I should buy...

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_I...country_GB.htm

Sometimes the oil gets caustic and eats at the seals. Could be it was never assembled correctly if it was serviced also. Your link is the wrong page. You need this: http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Sea ... geToLoad=1

Seems it's backordered a couple weeks, though!

Thanks Letterman. I'll see if another company has it in stock.