Thread: New Fuel Filler Hose

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

New Fuel Filler Hose

I noticed some time ago that there was evidence of fuel leakage between the swirl pot under the front wing and the fuel tank under the bonnet. Last week I filled up with petrol (before we were advised to stock pile fuel, buy postage stamps and eat hot pasties), only to discover a puddle of super unleaded under the front of the car when I left.

A quick look under the wing confirmed my fears - the fuel transfer hose from the swirl pot spigot to the fuel tank had split, and was allowing the precious fuel to leak away!

A new 2"/51mm right angle hose was ordered from Demon Tweeks and yesterday I fitted it, ready for the next fill-up which (provided I can find a pump that isn't empty) will be next weekend on the way to Detling.

Anyway, here's a few pix...

Three wheels on my wagon...

This is the new hose in place. The spigot on the swirl pot is moulded from fibreglass. I took the opportunity to file down some of the lumps and bumps which may have contributed to the last hose splitting. This is looking up from underneath the nearside wheel arch.

The swirl pot in all its glory. I moulded the bowl section, with the outlet spigot, and then bonded it to the underside of the wing underneath the aero filler cap with a shortened spigot. Then I glassed over the swirl pot from underneath (messy). Its worked OK for the last 5 years, but if they start blending ethanol into standard pump gas I am going to be in trouble!

The fuel flows into the fuel tank via this transfer hose.

Back together again, and almost ready for the show season!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Re: New Fuel Filler Hose

Looks great, as always, Lauren. I'm very surprised you don't have the ethanol blends yet. We've been doing that for the past ten years or more... and I won't get into the ethanol discussion here!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Hi Rick - I think secretly they are blending ethanol into our fuel, although I believe the levels are still low (5% or less). There has been recent talk of raising the ethanol content to 10%, I guess that's when all my fibreglass fuel system components dissolve into jelly

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Good job Lauren. The thought of unleaded fuel dripping out all over the drive is enough to bring a person to tears at the moment.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about swirl pots!

Nice last photo. Saved as usual.

G

Looking great! such a nice car,
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl