Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

Hi folks,

As some of you may have seen in CKC whilst repairing the windscreen/bonnet incident I made the decision to clean up some other bits on the car and get it all blown over.

Also, with the windscreen out it seemed a sensible time to flip the canopy over and fit the new canopy seal.

Ahead of that I am repairing some damage t the underside of the canopy - old sun visor holes etc. The underside needs a lick of paint - it has never been done other than some satin black over repairs.

So my question - do I repaint it all satin black as I did on the last Nova so it is unobtrusive.

Or, do I paint it body colour?

My my initial concern with body colour is if the A pillar will seem more visible?

As you may know my interior is quite bright (red) already, so do I need colour under the canopy too?

What have others done?

thanks all
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

I don't know if this would work, but couldn't you use something like a washable spray adhesive to temporarily tack black or coloured sheeting/fabric/material to the inside of the canopy and see what it looks like for yourself, then decide what you would prefer as a more permanent solution?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would go for Satin Black, but there's not much in it.
    My daily driver has a light grey on the inside of the A-pillar, it does not catch the eye while driving.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Would it be ‘just too much’ to do it in red leather .... ?? Might make it too claustrophobic so maybe a contrast would be better ... not too mention cheaper! In which case I’d go satin black.
    Alistair

Just got the Nov copy of CKC and am amazed to see the extensive number of small repairs to your Nova's body with a view to getting her ready for a full respray. Although I've never seen your Nova in the flesh it always looks superb in the photos!

... also, Martha's wee handwritten note in the resulting dust on the body ('I love the Nova') was beautiful

Looking forward to seeing the Nova once she's finished.

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Just got the Nov copy of CKC and am amazed to see the extensive number of small repairs to your Nova's body with a view to getting her ready for a full respray. Although I've never seen your Nova in the flesh it always looks superb in the photos!

... also, Martha's wee handwritten note in the resulting dust on the body ('I love the Nova') was beautiful

Looking forward to seeing the Nova once she's finished.

Alistair
    Cheers Alistair, we are at one of those rare moments when reality has been caught up by print - not much progress since then.

With a respray planned it seemed silly not to attend to a few blemishes I had seen. The trouble is the more I look, the more I find!
    All the best,

Jim

Probably a bit late to contribute but my intirior was mainly red including arpet and it was too much and has been reduced to being the second colur with black trim, dash and dark grey carpet, I will certainly be doing the A posts in blacl, either leathercloth or alcantara cloth to match dash. To off-set the dark I did the roof lining in off-white perforated leather.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Hi folks,

As some of you have seen in CKC my work on the underside of the canopy continues.

I have been working on various blemishes to the underside ahead of the repaint and new roof seal. I am going to paint the underside satin black, but am aware the finish in some places isn’t 100% . Was thinking of a form of textured paint - truck bed liner/plastic textured finish to help give some texture.

Has anyone used a rattle can paint to produce this sort of effect with any success? And if so product recommendations please!

cheers all
    All the best,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Hi folks,

As some of you have seen in CKC my work on the underside of the canopy continues.

I have been working on various blemishes to the underside ahead of the repaint and new roof seal. I am going to paint the underside satin black, but am aware the finish in some places isn’t 100% . Was thinking of a form of textured paint - truck bed liner/plastic textured finish to help give some texture.

Has anyone used a rattle can paint to produce this sort of effect with any success? And if so product recommendations please!

cheers all
    Hi Jim,

I used Tetrosyl rattle can stone chip (bought from from Euro Car Parts, other outlets are available!) on my chassis. It's got a satin finish and has a 'gentle' texture rather than being too heavy or 'rubbery'. Here's a photo of my frame head with it and a photo of the can with bar code.

Cheers, Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 23-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks! Stone chip paint is a good shout.
    All the best,

Jim